Blown Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife managed to run over this bolt. Rear drivers side was punctured, then the bolt loosened and the tire deflated. She drove about a quarter mile back to our home and in the process managed to destroy the inner sidewall. Needless to say, I will be replacing with a new Pirelli Scorpion as the entire set only has 10k miles. Since the spare is the same wheel and tire I think I'll make the rear passenger tire my spare and put the two new tires up front. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 28

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me. Bummer about the shredded tire, had she stopped right away that looked like an easy patch job.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough the guy at Discount Tire thinks I should put the new tires in the back, not in the front. Am I crazy for thinking the newest tires should go up front?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear tires take more load than the front ones (which is why they call for a higher pressure than the front ones), so he makes a good point... With just 10K miles on the "used" ones, it probably won't make much of a difference whichever way you decide to mount them, as long as the treadwear matches on the same axle.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear tires take more load than the front ones (which is why they call for a higher pressure than the front ones), so he makes a good point... With just 10K miles on the "used" ones, it probably won't make much of a difference whichever way you decide to mount them, as long as the treadwear matches on the same axle.

Exactly.

But on coin toss I would go new in the rear. It is primarily a RWD arrangement, right?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear tires take more load than the front ones (which is why they call for a higher pressure than the front ones), so he makes a good point...

I learned something here, thanks Umberto. Given the massive weight of the LR4 and the way the front end of a vehicle loads upon braking, it seemed intuitive to me that just like the front brakes, the front tires would take more load (and hence more wear) over time than the rear.

Good to know!

Chris

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rule I've learned back in Germany is new tires (set of 2) go on the rear axle whatever type of car/truck you drive.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rule I've learned back in Germany is new tires (set of 2) go on the rear axle whatever type of car/truck you drive.

If a German gave you that advice then it's settled for me. :biggrin: New tire will be installed tomorrow morning, and hopefully the new weird sound at startup goes away.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a German gave you that advice then it's settled for me. :biggrin: New tire will be installed tomorrow morning, and hopefully the new weird sound at startup goes away.

I spent my better years in Germany (14-25) and my grandfather is German.
They usually know what they're talking about (especially with cars).

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent my better years in Germany (14-25) and my grandfather is German.
They usually know what they're talking about (especially with cars).

Couldn't agree more. I'm also a BMW enthusiast. I would argue that Germans are exceptional drivers too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac