Brake light problem on '93 Classic.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bille

Reaction score
'93 Rangie, KA635019 VIN with ABS, Righ Hand drive..

Brake lights stopped working on rear corners, one in center of upper tailgate worked OK.

1. Checked globes OK but replace anyway.

2. Checked switch OK, but replaced in case of intermitant fault.

3. Flashers, parking, reverse and tail lights all working OK.

4. There is NO power to the stop light at the tail light assembly harness plug near the tail lights.

5. While doing some testing, the stop lights came on for about 30 seconds then lost power again now the one on the upper tailgate has stopped working, globe is OK.

6. ALL testing done with digital multimeter.

All light related fuses appear to be in fuse box on facia in front of front passenger seat, I have found 2 more under the drivers seat ALL FUSES TESTED OK.
There are plenty of RELAYS scattered about the cabin but there is no indication what they are related to, I have been able to work out what some of the are for but none seem to be stoplight related (But who knows?).

Does anyone know if there are any STOPLIGHT specific fuses anywhere or have electrical details (Schematics) for this model that I can download.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• RRC Stop 1.jpg
    RRC Stop 1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 81
  • RRC Stop 2.jpg
    RRC Stop 2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 60
  • RRC Stop 3.jpg
    RRC Stop 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 64
  • RRC Stop 4.jpg
    RRC Stop 4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 55
  • RRC Wiring.jpg
    RRC Wiring.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 70

Bille

Reaction score
joey said:
Hope this helps.
G'day Joey

Thanks for the quick reply however 1995 model is the P38 not the Classic and the engine compartment doesn't have any fuses.

But it is of some hope because it shows the harness to the rear in under floor NOT in the roof as I thought, perhaps the Classic is the same, I will check it out tomorrow in the daylight

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm that is odd, I pulled these electrical diagrams right out of the RRC portion of the manual.... sorry, guess my book doesn't go that far back.

Bille

Reaction score
Bille said:
G'day Joey

Thanks for the quick reply however 1995 model is the P38 not the Classic and the engine compartment doesn't have any fuses.

But it is of some hope because it shows the harness to the rear in under floor NOT in the roof as I thought, perhaps the Classic is the same, I will check it out tomorrow in the daylight

Woops May have made a mistake, I forgot they ran Classics and P38 in tandem for a while so your diagrams possibly are for the Classic but I'm pretty sure there are no under hood fuses, BUT I will dig around a bit more tomorrow.

Bille

Reaction score
Joey

OK I have checked every where under the hood and there are NO fuses - There is only 1 relay which is located behind washer bottle and appears to be for the headlight washer delay which has been disconnected on my vehicle.

So unless someone has some specific knowledge of the KA VIN model I'm at a dead end.

I think I recall seeing some discussion that the 1995 Classic was a crossover vehicle and had pretty much the same specs as the P38.

Thanks for your input this far if you come across anything else you think maybe of assistance please keep me in mind.

Bille

Reaction score
OK I now have brake lights .... must have been earth or connection problem, but now I have another question related to this post.

QUESTION: On the rear tail light assembly there are FLASHER and REVERSE (Roughly centre of the assembly), a combined PARK/BRAKE 21W/5W bulb at the top and another 21W bulb at the bottom that has a reflector behind it which I assume is also a BRAKE LIGHT can anyone confirm that the bottom one is indeed a Brake light, I now have the top brake light working but nothing at the bottom one.

Someone on another forum suggested that lights change in different countries and that the bottom one might never have worked in australia.

Thanks for any help.

Bille

Reaction score
OK answered my own question a "Fog" light never had the need for one in Perth Western australia and never really checked out that group of switches properly other than Cruise & Spots which I use, well I learn something everyday.

I might look at hooking them up to the brake lights probably should do it through a relay because it would double the wattage.

Any clues if this would be OK.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't help you on that one... I tend to shy away from making wiring changes on the Rovers. It tends to back fire at some point. Although I would think if you also unwired the switch to prevent the accidental bumping it on. This should work, and your right I would go with a relay to prevent any odd electrical issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72