Brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone! I'm getting ready to tackle my first break job on my 2013 LR4. Other than setting the parking brake to service mode with the IIDTool, do I need to put the suspension in any type of mode before lifting the wheels off the ground?

Thanks in advance for the advise!

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing else special to do.

i can say that drum brakes are a pain in the ass, but overall there is nothing different on thees cars than any other.

i did my fronts in 20 min per side. rears took a while longer due to drums and parking brake adjustment.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Be sure to pay particular attention to your caliper pins. Give a good clean and relube with a silicone base lubricant only. Make sure you have the bushing pin in the proper location and pay particular attention to the rubber pin bushings. If they are torn up get new ones. Bush pins go on the bottom in the fronts.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory manual says to put suspension in off-road mode (highest position) before jacking any wheels off the ground. Make sure you have a high-lift jack.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget a thin headed 17mm open end wrench for the caliper pin nut.
( this video is on a range rover but the same concept applies )

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jack mine up regularly and never put it into any special suspension mode, nor do I open the door or hood or perform any other witchcraft voodoo processes. It raises up just fine. One quirk is that upon lowering it and starting the engine, it always ends up being in off-road mode, which I have to correct but I have never had any issues.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% agree. A 24" hydraulic floor jack is perfect.

Something like this would work, https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...ional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-orange-64241.html
I have the older Pittsburgh-branded version of that jack. It works great for a fraction of the price of a big-name jack (like AC Hydraulic jacks, made in Denmark, which I'd have if I could afford 'em).

I jack mine up regularly and never put it into any special suspension mode, nor do I open the door or hood or perform any other witchcraft voodoo processes. It raises up just fine.
No need to open a door, but I think the idea behind having the truck in off-road mode, is that the other corners are higher, so there may be less "tilt" with one wheel off the ground?

:dontknow:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced brakes and rotors not long ago - they work great, but they now rattle going over bumps. I used pagid front pads and ferrodo rear pads, and I used the clips that came with the new pads. I think that was a mistake. FCP euro sent some new LR clips, but I haven’t installed them yet to see if it fixes the rattle. You might want to check your new clips against the old ones when you install the new pads. Curious if anyone else has had similar problems.

As for jacking, I generally pull the fuse on the suspension when I jack it up.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this problem too with brembo pads and it drove me nucking futs. The car sounded like a total rattlebucket going over bumps, squealed horribly and it sounded like the front end was going to fall apart. I ditched these pads and put in Akebonos and all(i mean ALL) the noise is gone. Pads matter.

Make sure you put on anti squeal paste on the back of the pads and lube the pins, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA