Brakes won't stop the car!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saturnx311

Reaction score
OK, I've bled the brakes till no air comes thru, no bubbles, and have clear brand new fluid everywhere. Calipers are good, pads and rotors are fine.
If someone were to drive the car they'd say the brakes are fine: they do stop the car pretty well-- but if you really need to stop quick, you can stand on the pedal and it simply coasts to a stop. In other words, in a panic stop, you'd smash into the car in front.
I put a new booster on thinking that was it; no go.
It's had a master cylinder recently as well, and there's no leakage. Ait trapped ijn the ABS pump maybe? IDK...
HELP!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What year and model of vehicle is in question... I can only assume (I hate that word) that it is a Discovery beyond that I have no idea...

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without any more information I would say you got some oil or something else slick on the disks or pads. Had that happen to me after someone replaced pads on my discovery 1 they had lubed the pistons in the calipers and in the process got it on the disks. it would stop ok-ish under normal driving. But you couldn't stop if I pushed brake pedal all the way, it would eventually stop :ahhhhh:. Ended up having to replace pads and clean rotors and scuff them because the lube had polished the rotor. After that it stopped just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM