Broken gearbox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beaner

Reaction score
Hey, im new to this site and would greatley like your help if atal posible, i was out in my defender 90 td5 the other day when i became stuck in a bog, me and my friends tried our hardest to get it out, jackin it up nd putin boards etc under the wheels but couldnt get it, during this i noticed the gearstick had gained an extra 6"of travel left to right, and wouldnt go into gear all the time, it got worse to the point i only had 3rd, i still have a clutch but just do not kno what is wrong with it and am reluctant to start takin things appart incase things get worse, any ideas? Duncan

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, sounds like something may have gotten torn up in the transmission (gearbox). Could be as simple as shifting forks or worse case torn up teeth.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the truck, do you hear any gear type grinding noises?
If the tranny is broken, it will be cheaper to replace it with a used one then to try and rebuild it. Where do you live?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635