Buying Advice for Teen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

EJBasile

Hello Everyone,

My son is getting his drivers licence soon and wants a Range Rover. I am thinking of getting him a '96-'99 (they cost about $15000 and under with 70k-85k miles on them). Is this a good idea. He wants an HSE because of the 4.6.

What is the difference between the S, SE, and HSE? The S has no air suspension, the SE and HSE do. The HSE has the 4.6 and 18" wheels standard. the '99+ have side airbags. Is this correct.

Thanks,
Eric

E

EJBasile

I also have a wierd question: When you lock or unlock do the RRs make an audible noise. Horn, siren, beep. Just wondering becuase I like it when cars have an audible confermation.

D

discomike

How old is your son?
You probably don't want or need a 4.6, he will probably be a little heavy footed with it. Is this his first vehicle and if so can be be responsible enough for a 4wheeler, does he have any off road experience?? What is he planning on doing with it, and will you be ready for the upkeep/repairs??
One father to another,
Mike J.

ruffinit

Reaction score
I think it is one of the best cars to get a teen. What else is he going to be safer in?! I had a Range Rover 4.6hse as my first car and thought it was underpowered, which many believe. So I recommend the hse over the others. But mine also had the air suspension, which was a real pain. teens are going to be teens, you give your son a 4runner, and if he's into off roading he's going to do it, it doesn't matter what car he has, might as well be the best equipped. I would get the newest model you can. But if you havn'et done research, I highly recommend doing some on the reliability of the vehicle and repair costs.... Good luck!

D

discomike

By the way, I forgot to mention that there is an audible noise when going between 2H and 4L or 4H.
Mike J.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or were you referring to "locking" of the doors, not the locking of a differential????

D

discomike

No, I was referring to going into 4wheel lock either low or high range.
Mike J.

E

EJBasile

I was talking about the door locks. How in a rangey do you shift from 2hi to 4high to 4low? I thought the '96+ were awd.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All LR's (at least I am pretty sure all of them) have both a high and low range. As for the Range Rover, I am not sure if that year has a 2H setting... sorry...

S

SteveA

I'll try to answer some of these questions. The P38 RR does not have any type of audible warning on locking or unlocking the doors unless a door, hood or trunk is left open. Then you will get a quick 2 tone chirp. Otherwise there is no audible option.

The P38 RR is permanent 4 wheel drive. NOT all-wheel drive. To shift from 4 high to 4 low (and back) you move the shift lever to neutral, pull up the shifter button, and push across to the other side of the shift gate (to the right for low). The car will sound 3 tones and then you will get an indication on the dash that you are in high or low.

If we are speaking of US models, all P38 RR have air suspension. The only S model I know of was in 99. In 99 there was a switch from GEMS to Bosch engine management. The S model had the earlier GEMS system, but came with the 18" wheels from the 4.6.

Side airbags came in the second half of 1999. Look for a small label sewn in the side seam of the front seats that says airbag.

If it was for my son, I would consider a late 99+ 4.0 for the airbags and also the more powerfull engine.

Stephn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM