Carpet options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for options to replace my carpet in my 1998/99 D1. The carpet is fine. I am just looking to make it more durable. I have thought about taking it out and either coating it with a colored bed liner / rubber spray to try and keep the original look. I want to keep the insulation for sound and heat shielding. I just would prefer a rubber type of carpet that could be cleaned easy after a camping or off road trip. I look forward to any ideas or solutions you all have come up with.

gutlesswonder

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just get a set of high quality rubber mats with nice big outer lips that would catch any mud, water, beer, or whatever else you feel like spilling on them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=97+...K_EYzEgwSBtYOgBQ&ved=0CBoQsxg&biw=320&bih=440

The flat rear floor means you get a mat that covers the whole thing. Heck, if you wanted you could go hog wild, pull out the seats and center console, and get a pond liner, lay it out, cut to fit, tuck under plastic trim and whatever else needs tucking, but for a lot less time and money good mats would do just about as good.

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure it would be cheaper and much easier, I have heavy rubber mats already. But mud, snow and sand doesn't like to stay put in just the mat. For many other vehicles there are options for rubber and vinyl carpet type systems. I just helped my brother do one in his Jeep Cherokee. I am just looking to have something that doesn't have to be carpet cleaned every time I get mud on my shoes. I am pulling the seats and carpet out to check for rust in the floors and epoxy coat the known problem areas. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas other than rubber mats. As for the pond liner first off it would be black and not look anywhere near original. Second it is not a product that you can mold to fit over all the shapes in the truck floor ( i know this because I have a 20'x20' Koi pond that I built using the stuff), Main reason I was asking about the already molded carpet sections that I already have. I just want to be able to shop vac out the light dirt and use a sponge to clean anything else. 10 min the whole floor could be clean verses having to use the carpet cleaning spray and scrub the hell out of it and then clean all that out.

gutlesswonder

Reaction score
Go to a junkyard and get either a super cherry carpet or a nasty one, and line-x whichever is worse. That way you can put it back to stock if you want, and you'll have a form fit, easily cleanable setup in the mean time. I haven't found a rubber replacement set that makes hosing the car out easy, duo based on what you want it's probably your best bet.

terryth

Reaction score
Personally I like mats like these, I have had them in several vehicles in the past, unfortunately they don't make any for my latest Discovery acquisition and I haven't seen something similar else where :frown: They do have a product request page, maybe if there are enough LR requests they will make a set.

http://www.weathertech.com/land-rover_range-rover/2003/discovery-series-ii/floorliner-digitalfit/

Their regular floor mats are pretty decent for the price and the rear liner looks pretty good, but since I have an SE 7, I'll be sticking with the stock rear liner with the holes for the seat latch.

http://www.weathertech.com/land-rover_range-rover/2003/discovery-series-ii/package-8/

Last edited:

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gutlesswonder, I have perfect condition ( show some normal wear) carpets in my truck. I plan on using those. I did grab the cargo bay carpet section out of a truck at the junk yard to test this out on. I am not looking to hose anything out, I just want to be able to keep it clean. Hosing out the inside of a discovery would just be asking to trap a lot of water under what ever you had in the truck.

Terryth, I have a set of the original Land Rover mats with the deep grove's and they are great. I have had the weathertech standard mats in my last disco and they are good too. The molded one would be awesome. I put a request in with them for the molded style. If we all annoy the hell out of them perhaps they will make it.

I will post pics of the cargo bay carpet after I get it sprayed. so every one can see what it looks like. I am hoping they have a color that is close.

terryth

Reaction score
I picked up a set of used the deep grove OE land rover mats off ebay for my 2003 disco and they arrived today and are pretty nice.

Gutlesswonder, I have perfect condition ( show some normal wear) carpets in my truck. I plan on using those. I did grab the cargo bay carpet section out of a truck at the junk yard to test this out on. I am not looking to hose anything out, I just want to be able to keep it clean. Hosing out the inside of a discovery would just be asking to trap a lot of water under what ever you had in the truck.

Terryth, I have a set of the original Land Rover mats with the deep grove's and they are great. I have had the weathertech standard mats in my last disco and they are good too. The molded one would be awesome. I put a request in with them for the molded style. If we all annoy the hell out of them perhaps they will make it.

I will post pics of the cargo bay carpet after I get it sprayed. so every one can see what it looks like. I am hoping they have a color that is close.

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are very nice. I was lucky enough to have gotten a brand new set from rovers north that the previous owner had just bought before deciding to sell his rover to me.I will also continue to use them if I have the carpet coated with the bed liner. I also have the original heavy rubber rear cargo bay liner and I love that. if it gets dirty you just pull it out of the rover and spay it off with the hose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM