Changing water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

roverX

How difficult is it to change the water pump on a 96 D1 SE7? How much time am I looking at to do the job? Also, other than the water pump and gasket, what other parts should I pre-order so I am not stranded in my driveway?
Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
According to the Manual the following is a gauge of time. Doesn't look hard by looking at it either....

Remove radiator shroud, remove fan, remove belt, remove the water pump, then carefully (read extreme) scrap off all of the old gasket, then apply new gasket (a little blue gasket maker never hurts) to hold gasket in place, replace water pump, belt, fan, radiator shroud..... start and check for leaks, have one on me..... :)

26.50 WATER PUMP
26.50.01 Pump -water -renew .............................................00.60
26.50.01/01 Pump -water -renew -with unit removed ..............00.15
26.50.02 Gasket -water pump -renew ...................................00.60
26.50.08 Seals/’O ’ring -water pump -set -renew ....................00.60

P

penguinpwrd

I have a question. According to the shop manual, you require two seperate LR tools to accomplish this task. One is for the removal of the viscous unit from the pump, and the other is to prevent the pulley from spinning when performing said removal. Does anyone that has done this have another way to do it, without buying the tools?

Thanks,

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, go down to your local bicycle shop and buy and multi sized head tool.... mine cost about $12, then take a rubber mallet and smack it while it is in place on the nut that holds the fan in place.

Or see if your local Napa will loan you the correct tool.

joey zingale

Reaction score
fan removal

i dont have the tool either, i am able to grab the nut on my 97 discovery just behind ( engine side )viscous coupling with a set of channel locks , the manual says to turn fan counter clockwise to remove fan. I have the water pump not turning and am able to turn the fan counter clockwise with very little resistance. but the fan or viscous coupling is not comming off.
what am i doing wrong?
thanks for any and all replies!!

Smith

Reaction score
Pump or Fan Couplng

My fan is beginning to wobble. Is the pump the issue or the coupling. 96 Discovery. How can I tell the difference?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fan is beginning to wobble. Is the pump the issue or the coupling. 96 Discovery. How can I tell the difference?

if you're feeling play @ fanblade with the belt "on" then I'd say it's the fan clutch.

If you've removed the belt & feel play, look @ the shaft coming out of the water pump to see if it (or both) are moving.

In my case the fan clutch wobble probably took out my pump bearing over time.

I installed electric fans

luck,greg

joey zingale

Reaction score
fan removal and replacement

When i had my fan off, before replacing it i put on some teflon tape, this makes it alot easier to take off again should you need to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo