Chicken Flooring = Awesome!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Finlay, where did you get those steel tie wraps? I think I'm going to do a "low profile" half rack and that flooring looks great. I had seen it before, but had forgotten about it.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I am wondering if someone (especially CaptainSpalding) has a link for a good source for something like this . . . I am looking for a box like tuffy makes to mount to my roof rack. I will also consider options that I ratched strap up there when needed. I have seen these boxes before, but can't seem to find them?

Okay, I'll give it a whack.

Since you're not averse to ratchet straps, how about a nice Pelican case? They are tough, waterproof, and can be used under lots of circumstances. They come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. And they're mil-spec. Next to a jerry can, nothing on your roof rack says "expedition" like a Pelican case.

The Pelican 1780 holds about a third more than the box you cited, but can be had for just over half the cost. Get it without foam and it will cost less. When considering ratchet straps, it's worth noting that better ratchet straps have a rating stamped on them.

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1780

image1.jpg

(Oh look . . . that rack has poultry flooring . . .)

Here is a close up of the zip tie (I was able to push the tab underneath so you can't see it . . .
You can just cut the tabs off with a pair of dikes.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey CaptainSpalding,

Any suggestions on some good ratchet straps? I bought some from eBay and they seem pretty good, but wanted to make sure I did not skimp.

-David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Hey CaptainSpalding,
Any suggestions on some good ratchet straps? I bought some from eBay and they seem pretty good, but wanted to make sure I did not skimp.
Before you go out and buy more, have a close look and the ones you have. If they are shoddy, you can tell easily. Are they well assembled? Do all the parts that are supposed to meet at right angles meet at right angles? Does the mechanism operate without seeming to want to pull itself apart? Is there a stated load rating? If so, you're good to go.

If I were going to buy some today, I might try these out. Stainless steel mechanism, I'd go for a 15' length, 1" black webbing, Coated S-hooks rather than j-hooks.

They look just like the ones offered at EE, but at half the cost.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you go out and buy more, have a close look and the ones you have. If they are shoddy, you can tell easily. Are they well assembled? Do all the parts that are supposed to meet at right angles meet at right angles? Does the mechanism operate without seeming to want to pull itself apart? Is there a stated load rating? If so, you're good to go.

If I were going to buy some today, I might try these out. Stainless steel mechanism, I'd go for a 15' length, 1" black webbing, Coated S-hooks rather than j-hooks.

They look just like the ones offered at EE, but at half the cost.
Thanks, Captain! Funny, I have two of the straps you posted above - exactly. Haha!

I also have four of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=370620812905&view=all&tid=384401986024

Do you think if I use one of the straps you recommended (that I have) on each box, plus say another couple of my straps from ebay that will be ample? I guess the 15 foot straps that I have (that you recommended) should be plenty for one box since I will likely be doubling up the lines. I just want to make sure it's secure. I think I have more ratchet straps than I need. HAHA!

Oh, I also ordered 2 jerry can holders, a wedco water 20L jerry can, and the petrol can you recommended. I plan to bolt the trays to the roof rack permanently as you suggested. Thanks again!

-David

Last edited:

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Do you think if I use one of the straps you recommended (that I have) on each box, plus say another couple of my straps from ebay that will be ample? I guess the 15 foot straps that I have (that you recommended) should be plenty for one box since I will likely be doubling up the lines. I just want to make sure it's secure. I think I have more ratchet straps than I need. HAHA!
Hi David,
That link didn't work for me.

If you are going to go with the Pelican 1780 case, you really only need one strap per case. Just be sure to thread the straps through the handles at each end. Depending on what you're packing you may find that you want to strap the bottom half of the case to the rack, and allow the top of the case to be opened or removed without loosening the straps. In that situation you would hook an end to a case handle, run outside the rack, then under it, and then up through the rack to the handle on the other end of the case.

Even with good quality ratchet straps you might consider a redundant safety - a piece of rope tied to the case and then to any convenient point on the rack.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David,
That link didn't work for me.

If you are going to go with the Pelican 1780 case, you really only need one strap per case. Just be sure to thread the straps through the handles at each end. Depending on what you're packing you may find that you want to strap the bottom half of the case to the rack, and allow the top of the case to be opened or removed without loosening the straps. In that situation you would hook an end to a case handle, run outside the rack, then under it, and then up through the rack to the handle on the other end of the case.

Even with good quality ratchet straps you might consider a redundant safety - a piece of rope tied to the case and then to any convenient point on the rack.
Hey Captain,

I ended up buying the 1650 model of the Pelican case and went with two boxes. Two of these are ample size for my needs. Sorry that the link did not work, but that's OK, as I have two of the straps you recommended and then four of the others I had purchased from eBay (below is a description):

HEAVY DUTY Ratchet Tie Down Straps
- Rot & Weather Resistant Nylon Straps
- Heavy Duty 1500 lb. Capacity!
-Rubber Coated S Hooks Won't Rust or Scratch
-Rubber Coated Ratchet Lever
-Excellent Quality
-Great For ATV's, Motorcycles, etc...

I think with six straps I now have plenty - hehe!

Thank you for the input on how to properly strap down the boxes. I was actually planning on strapping down the bottom half of the case like you mentioned, as it would be great to have access to the top without loosening the straps. I definitely plan to have a just in case safety rope(s) tied to the case and rack.

Question: Do you think it's OK to leave the cases up there almost full time (given they are weather proof, etc.) so I can have some extra storage. I love to store some of my permanent stuff in there and get it out of the cargo area, which really becomes a pain when I utilize the third row seats. I am just curious if some people leave their Pelican cases up there all the time and if that's OK.

Thanks again for all your help!

-David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Question: Do you think it's OK to leave the cases up there almost full time (given they are weather proof, etc.) so I can have some extra storage. I love to store some of my permanent stuff in there and get it out of the cargo area, which really becomes a pain when I utilize the third row seats. I am just curious if some people leave their Pelican cases up there all the time and if that's OK.
Two issues with leaving them up all the time:
1. Theft potential.
2. Continual exposure to the elements might reduce the lifespan of the cases.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two issues with leaving them up all the time:
1. Theft potential.
2. Continual exposure to the elements might reduce the lifespan of the cases.
Good points!

I'm not too worried about the theft thing at home (my "compound" is very secure), but could be an issue if I am parked somewhere long-term.

That was my thinking, but wanted to get your opinion. I will keep everyone posted once I receive the boxes and jerry cans / holders. Thanks again! :)

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo