Chicken Flooring = Awesome!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, i want to ask this on topic, so ill bump this thread.

Lets talk wind and noise.

I am trying to get a picture of the new style wind fairing from Voyager, and it looks like Expat went with a thule one, but im not sure I like the look of it or want "thule" plastered on the front of my truck... so... anyone have input on wind noise, fairings or anything else rack related?

I want something as quite as possible, but it can't look like crap. I'd also like to explore an led light bar at some point. I really need to get out and take some trips and talk to people who have this stuff and have experience.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, i want to ask this on topic, so ill bump this thread.

Lets talk wind and noise.

I am trying to get a picture of the new style wind fairing from Voyager, and it looks like Expat went with a thule one, but im not sure I like the look of it or want "thule" plastered on the front of my truck... so... anyone have input on wind noise, fairings or anything else rack related?

I want something as quite as possible, but it can't look like crap. I'd also like to explore an led light bar at some point. I really need to get out and take some trips and talk to people who have this stuff and have experience.
Hey mbw,

I would recommend calling the folks at Voyager and asking them to send you a photo of the new wind fairing and how they affix it to the rack. As you know, I bought my Voyager half-rack about 1.5 years ago and they were using a different wind fairing design that has since changed because of customer complaints (from what I could gather). They actually welded on metal brackets (at least on the half-rack) to affix the wind fairing and man they really bolted it on there - which is good - but they did such a shabby job. That's an important thing to ask them at Voyager, whether or not they can provide a fairing on its own, or if they would have had to modify the roof rack to fit their fairing. I think typically you order the fairing with the roof rack (at least that was what they told me). Why was it shabby? Well.....First, the material they used was this black fiberglass stuff that warped a lot. Second, they used huge bolts that were not really fitted. It just looked crappy and I had to replace the bolts. As far as the actual fairing, I took the original off and had a place called Tap Plastics (it is here in Northern CA) cut the exact same design and drill holes and now this looks better (with the bolts that actually fit flush).

I wrote to Voyager about the wind fairing and they said I would need to send them the old one and they would fit it with a new one that they designed, but when I inquired a couple more times they did not respond, thus I did it myself. Plus, I knew I was not going to keep the rack (even if I kept the truck), as I want a full sized rack.

OK, now let's talk about noise. The wind fairing does work to cut down on the wind noise, but I have never experienced whistling or anything like that - even when my fairing was off for a week or so while I was having the new one made. I will say there is a bit of wind noise, even with the fairing (though it does help a lot), especially in the back seat. I guess I just got used to the wind noise, especially since it got a bit louder when I permanently bolted on my two large pelican boxes. ;-)

I think the Thule wind fairing would do the trick and work about as good as possible, but you are right, it does not seem to look right. If you do find it fits well and looks good, you could always paint it black to blend it in a bit more.

The LED light bars look awesome and there are a lot of different designs, but you definitely have to fit it just right. Once you get the rack set up, then you can talk to some folks and get some suggestions about LED lights. I would be interested in that as well.

My new roof rack does not have a fairing, but the wind doesn't bother me anymore. I would like lights in the front at some point.

Lastly, if you plan to put chicken coop (which works awesome), it did not add anything as far as noise; however, expect it to completely cover the glass roof and make it difficult to see out the sun roofs. It also does darken the interior a bit of course because of the lack of light coming in - just a warning.

Please keep us posted!!!

Regards, David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo