Chicken Flooring = Awesome!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Domoic

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So, I went with CaptainSpalding's advice (and others) and installed the chicken flooring (from FarmTek) as a floor to my Voyager roof rack. Let me say, it was an incredible fit and looks great! This is a cheap and easily removable flooring that is rock solid and tough. I can get up there and stand on it, pile stuff on the flooring, and ratchet strap things down easily.

I highly recommend it! I used industrial strength outdoor zip ties that are absolutely rock solid. The flooring does not even budge, but I used about 25 of them to secure it. Next up are my 2 jerry can holders...

I have the same rack!

It looks like you used 4 pieces.

Did you have to cut it to install? It looks like you did not?

Did you get "overlap" or "non-overlap" pieces?

Just trying to get a sense of what I need to order.

Thanks!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same rack!

It looks like you used 4 pieces.

Did you have to cut it to install? It looks like you did not?

Did you get "overlap" or "non-overlap" pieces?

Just trying to get a sense of what I need to order.

Thanks!
Hey Domoic,

I actually only used 2 pieces and they were overlapping. If you have the Voyager half-rack, then you will see that 2 pieces fits up there PERFECTLY - no need to cut or anything. The ability to overlap is not really an issue, but it's easier with the overlapping pieces. I secured everything with about 30 industrial strength outdoor zip ties. It works awesome!!!

Let me know if you have any questions.

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at a full low profile voyager rack. I heard from them that the metal mesh flooring will rust in wet climates, so I can't go with that. I guess I can try this option.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at a full low profile voyager rack. I heard from them that the metal mesh flooring will rust in wet climates, so I can't go with that. I guess I can try this option.
The chicken coop flooring is great - works really well.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chicken coop flooring is great - works really well.

What did you end up doing for the wind fairing? Voyager said that they had some fiberglass ones that didnt fit well and they stopped using them. They have new ones. Have you (or anyone) seen the new ones?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you end up doing for the wind fairing? Voyager said that they had some fiberglass ones that didnt fit well and they stopped using them. They have new ones. Have you (or anyone) seen the new ones?
I had to have a plastics shop cut a new fairing because the fiberglass one they provide was terrible - pure crap. They also used really bad bolts that I had to change because they rust after the first rain storm. The other thing to watch out for is their mounting hardware, it's pretty cheap so I switched out what I could with better quality.

I have seen the new fairing, and it's a lot better, but still not as good as Baja rack. Overall, I like my Voyager half-rack, especially since you do not need the short/long rails for the installation. I thought about their Off Road Challenge rack for my recently ordered 2013 LR4, but I am going with Urban Offroad most likely.

I am not sure if you are looking to get a ladder, but the one that Voyager makes is nice, though it does not sit flush with the housing in the door latch - so you need to do some modifcation. It's a rather poor design in that case. I know a couple others on this forum have posted about it as well. I'd go with a different ladder.

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably would go with the voyager ladder. They said if its not right they will work with me on it. *shrug*. I like the look of their stuff. Looks well made and can handle a lot of load, like me. (im not a small guy)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably would go with the voyager ladder. They said if its not right they will work with me on it. *shrug*. I like the look of their stuff. Looks well made and can handle a lot of load, like me. (im not a small guy)
I do really like my ladder, it just was a little annoying that it needed to be modified to actually fit in there correctly.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep bugging you, but how did you have to modify it? got any pictures?
Not bugging at all - I am happy to help.

I will take a photo for you tomorrow, as there is still a small gap between the top hatch and the lift handle (where the bottom lip of the ladder inserts). When the ladder was first installed, there was a pretty large gap, say about 1/2 inch. So, I had to have the lip ground down to fit better.

I can take a photo for you tomorrow and you will get a better idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90