Confirm 2013 TPMS & Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update on my TPMS journey...

As many of you know, I have the 18" Compomotive wheels with 265/65R18 BFG A/T KO tires on my LR4. I had the four tires installed without TPMS because the stock TPMS would not fit (even with new seals, etc.). At first I thought it was only because my local independent Land Rover garage did not have seals, but it was confirmed by two different national tire places.

I ordered one TPMS unit from TPMS Direct to test on the spare wheel/tire and it fits perfectly. So, I ordered four more for each wheel/tire and will have them installed in the next couple weeks. Hopefully they will work once I have them installed and turn TPMS alert back on with my IIDTool. I will also turn off the TPMS alert for the spare tire - I don't plan to stow under the truck.

I know a few of you also bought these same TPMS units and you did not need to calibrate or anything. They just activated and worked. I noticed in my owner's manual that it states there is a TPMS setting in the vehicle service menu, but I don't think that is part of the NA LR4 (I don't see it in the menu).

So, for those of you going with the 18" Compomotives, my stock 19" black-design wheel TPMS units did not work. I am not sure if this is due to the black design package (since the units are black), but there is no way to create a proper seal. This was also confirmed by someone else on the forum. I know a couple people have used the stock TPMS from their stock silver wheels - not sure if these are different or not? The TPMS from TPMS Direct are Land Rover OEM and seem to work great - will let you know if they activate just fine.

-David

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just mounted 285/60R18 to my Compomotives. Barry shipped me out 5 Anthracite Grey wheels last week and they arrived yesterday. I just wanted to say that I had read this thread a couple weeks back, so I was sure to go over the wheels for any blemishes or faults. Thankfully, all 5 wheels were immaculate!

I also purchased an IIDTool with the intention of disabling TPMS so I wouldnt be burdened with the extra cost of new sensors. Turns out my Gulf region LR4 already had TPMS turned off by default! Ooops. I still needed the EAS control anyway, so am happy with the purchase.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So you don't have the valve sensors mounted on the factory wheels? Or do you have the sensors installed, but the system is just disabled?

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new wheels and tires.
You will like your anthracite gray comps. The break dust is almost invisible on them.
I took my truck to Sedona ( Broken Arrow) and I was very happy with my set up. Compomotive with BFG TA KO.
I am going for another trail run this weekend.( Crown King)
Will post some info and pictures next week.
Enjoy your wheels.
I still believe this wheels should be at least a part of heavy duty package.
Standard wheels/ tire combination is a joke.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know for sure it was disabled in the system, but I havent removed the stock tires from the stock wheels (nor do I plan to) to check for physical sensors. The only thing I can think of is that in this region (mid east) its common to air down the tires for running in the desert. Maybe they disable TPMS to avoid customer complaints on perfectly functioning LRs. Who knows, really?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is really a great point. I cant, for the life of me, figure out why LR has crippled the LR4 with 19" wheels (let alone 20" optional ones) and poor tires. The complete lack of options for true offroad tires in the stock sizing is next to impossible. Why go through all the work engineering wonderful air suspension and terrain response systems and put those wheels / tires on it? I imagine its akin to Usain Bolt being forced to run the 100m in high heels. Fcking pointless!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know for sure it was disabled in the system, but I havent removed the stock tires from the stock wheels (nor do I plan to) to check for physical sensors. The only thing I can think of is that in this region (mid east) its common to air down the tires for running in the desert. Maybe they disable TPMS to avoid customer complaints on perfectly functioning LRs. Who knows, really?

Should be fairly easy to tell: If the valve stems (not the dust caps) mounted on the wheels are made of metal, you have the sensors installed but the system apparently disabled. If the stems are made of plastic / rubber, you have regular valves, no sensors (and no TPMS) at all.

If TPMS is not mandatory in your country - it is here in the US - I am guessing Land Rover didn't put any TPMS related hardware in your car.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new wheels and tires.
You will like your anthracite gray comps. The break dust is almost invisible on them.
I took my truck to Sedona ( Broken Arrow) and I was very happy with my set up. Compomotive with BFG TA KO.
I am going for another trail run this weekend.( Crown King)
Will post some info and pictures next week.
Enjoy your wheels.
I can't wait to hear more about your trip and impression of the tires!

Send me a message with the details....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just mounted 285/60R18 to my Compomotives. Barry shipped me out 5 Anthracite Grey wheels last week and they arrived yesterday. I just wanted to say that I had read this thread a couple weeks back, so I was sure to go over the wheels for any blemishes or faults. Thankfully, all 5 wheels were immaculate!

I also purchased an IIDTool with the intention of disabling TPMS so I wouldnt be burdened with the extra cost of new sensors. Turns out my Gulf region LR4 already had TPMS turned off by default! Ooops. I still needed the EAS control anyway, so am happy with the purchase.
Hi there!

I am glad to hear the wheels were in great condition - that's wonderful. Barry is a good guy and they definitely have a well-made product. I love my 18" Compomotives and proper tires - it should have been an option up front (perhaps on the HD package).

Interesting about your TPMS situation! Maybe they don't provide them because of all the sand driving (and airing down) - likely not though.

I also have the BT IIDTool and really like it, especially for EAS features. I also was able to disable my TPMS when I had my wheels/tires installed and will now turn it back on (and turn off the spare tire) when I have my TPMS installed tomorrow morning.

Your tire choice is very cool - can't wait to see photos!!!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be fairly easy to tell: If the valve stems (not the dust caps) mounted on the wheels are made of metal, you have the sensors installed but the system apparently disabled. If the stems are made of plastic / rubber, you have regular valves, no sensors (and no TPMS) at all.

If TPMS is not mandatory in your country - it is here in the US - I am guessing Land Rover didn't put any TPMS related hardware in your car.

I was just screwing around on the LR Topix website and pulled up my LR4 info and found that it says "LESS TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS" (middle column, 10th line down). I guess the Gulf country vehicles dont come with TPMS. Learn something new every day!

Attachments

• lr4.JPG
    lr4.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635