Coolant pipe failure (SCV6)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a failure in the coolant system with no warning (no lights, temp spike, etc.). Just started smoking and shut it off. Looks like we might have dodged the worst case scenario as heads and block look tight on first inspection. Looks like the coolant outlet pipe failed and dumped everything pretty quickly. Replacing that and also replacing the water pump and thermostat (again.) For reference ours has had many of the small leaks fixed in the past including crossover, y pipe, pretty much everything, or at least I thought. Any opinions if we should do any other service while it is all opened up? We have a '15 at ~75k miles and want to keep her for a long time to come.

Which pipe was it that failed/came loose? Do you have a pic? This stuff is gold dust to the collective knowledge base here
Also if you shut it down immediately as you indicated then you may be ok with changing out the failed pipe, refilling, and trying to see if it runs.
If it does then you can go do a coolant pressure test.
Then leak down and compression test.

Finally for a belt and braces approach I’d look at doing a combustion gas test on the coolant for piece of mind.

Fingers crossed that you dodged a bullet.

PCJDB

Reaction score
2016 with 74K miles. Going through this right now. A low coolant warning started flashing on/off a few times in the last week. I topped it up as I thought since it's been 100 degrees plus outside, it was working overtime. After topping up, a few days later, coolant light again. No overheating, no out of normal temp ranges at all so I got it back home and started looking at it in detail. One of the crossover pipes had failed so I'm going through the full water pump, thermostat, crossover pipes replacement.

I have an extended warranty as well and funny enough after I crossed 70K miles I started taking smaller trips because I figured it was only a matter of time. We'll see if it's all covered or not.

Considering while it's out to do the supercharger oil as well. Seems worth it even though it's a bit early while it's apart?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll see if it's all covered or not.
When my car was under the factory extended warranty my water pump **** the bed, and I had the dealer replace the water pump + front crossover pipe under warranty. No issues.

If your crossover pipe is leaking I'd honestly tow it to the dealer if it's covered under your warranty. I wouldn't risk that pipe blowing apart and baking your engine with no warning.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I consider the charger oil change to be optional as you can suck it out through the top without removing the charger later if need be. But it is easier when its off as you have better access to the plug. I checked my oil and it looked brand new (golden and clear, not at all dirty) and appeared to be approximately the right level, so I let it be. That was at 52K.

But you might want to have the supercharger coupler changed. The spring couplers wear out and start to chatter. They’ll probably keep going a long time, but, when they wear out, the spring starts to cut a groove in the shaft. Again, probably takes a long time for a real “failure“ but its something to consider.

It’s pretty easy to change the coupler with the charger off - just need to pry that snout off. It’s stuck on with RTV. Since you mentioned warranty, I assume you’re not doing this work yourself. An indy shop would probably take care of the coupler for you, but if you’re having this done at a dealer, I think they’ll try to sell you the whole snout rather than just changing the coupler. I don’t think its worth paying that kind of money right now.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the coupler, don’t cheap out on the coupling piece. I’ve used the oil filled nylon ones before in the maritime industry and I’ll never use them again in a high vibration environment. Have a look at the latest generation that Eaton sells.

Anyway that’s my humble opinion on these things.

just take it slowly and when refilling the coolant follow the workshop manual to a t.

Stu

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuart, If you have time, can you please post Eaton partno’s for the coupler and any other parts needed? I am getting ready to do all belts/hoses/pipes, water pump and thermostat, as well as pulling the SC for coupler and oil. Once I complete I am going to create a thread with all Land Rover partno’s for complete cooling system refresh on the 14-16 SCV6 models to make it easier for people determine what parts are needed as I read people asking a good bit on this forum.

I don’t necessarily want to make a DIY thread but more of a central point for parts reference/needed, and maybe a few Lesson’s learned. Possibly could be a sticky.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but what's the consensus on replacing the crossover pipe a second time?

Mine was replaced probably 30k miles ago with what I believe would be the updated design (Dealer did it, need to check part numbers)

I might just do it after I put some more miles on for peace of mind...

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on making this a 100K maintenance item, along with the complete cooling system, after I replace with the updated parts.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014-2016 V6SC Coolant Crossover Parts List.

So this is my list:-

LR Stuff

LR090630 Water Manifold. $41.711
LR092992 Water Pipe. $41.811
LR122710 MANIFOLD $99.331
LR097165 Water Pump Assembly $200.62
LR028136 Oil Cooler Tube $22.65
LR117568 Thermostat Unit$73.10
LR041681 Gasket $12.09 (2)
LR011038 Water Manifold Plug $4.41
LR050855 Lower Hose $106.16
LR033994 Outlet Tube $18.16
LR049990 Inlet Tube $42.37
LR011327 Belt $45.52
LR051263 Serpentine Belt $46.82
LR030593 Oil Cooler Tube Seal $7.00
LR048165 Fuel Injection Throttle Body Mounting Gasket $22.96
LR011221 Clip $4.56 (2)

Eaton Stuff

Coupling https://www.ebay.com/itm/112433704125 $64.99
Oil GM 8 oz Supercharger Oil Change Kit (2 bottles) Fits Jaguar Land Rover ACDelco $28.49

Now I know that some of these items are a bit pricey, but for me it was worth it.

When I came to do the job it turned out that the lower pipe for the thermostat (LR050855 Lower Hose $106.16) and the thermostat had recently been replaced, some time prior to me purchasing the vehicle, so I didn't change them this time. Also the throttle body gasket isn't essential but mine was a bit battered and I changed it out, they are reusable.

The clips (LR011221 Clip $4.56) that hold one of the hoses under the supercharger body turned into dust as soon as I touched them so make sure you have these on hand, and they're not necessarily a stock item.

Hope it helps, Also not all of the supercharger belts are created equal, LR changed the crank pulley at some point I believe so check that one against the vin at your friendly dealer.

Stu.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA