Costco's Kirkland Signature 5W-20?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Matthew Seese, Jan 17, 2020.

1. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

2. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

Haha. Joking of course- I never change my oil in a full tux or drink a martini while doing it- but I could if I wanted to! That’s how little mess the mightyvac makes of the job.

To your point on the quality of Kirkland oil, I was not implying that I am certain it is not quality, anymore than I am certain that aftermarket parts are not quality. The point is for the $50-100/year I’d save on the oil, it’d add about $5000 worth of worry (the cost of the timing job).

I’m sure running the Kirkland brand makes sense to you, just as not running it makes sense to me. Clearly for me, I’d need more data that Kirkland brand was sourced from Mobil 1 or Castrol full synthetic plants before I even considered it, and even then I’d sweat the decision. I’d probably even put a aftermarket part on this thing before I put a store label brand oil in it- but that’s just me- to each their own.

I also look at it this way...when I sell this truck...if I ever sell this truck, I’ve got receipts and mileages of oil that has gone in it...if I’m a prospective buyer and you tell me you’ve filled it with Kirkland oil, I’m running from the deal.

3. RoverRover01

RoverRover01 Member

Some off topic chatter is ok, as long as the intent and partial content is on topic - ha ha.

have a great day

4. RoverRover01

RoverRover01 Member

Scott - agree completely with you. All good my friend!!

5. scott schmerge

Yeah buddy. I saw @gsxr post about the source and that’s helpful info. May give some others confidence to take the plunge. Hope it turns out well and the $ saved far outweigh the risk!

always for saving money if it makes sense.

6. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

For some anecdotal evidence, one of my drinking buddies is a marketer for a major oil refiner. I asked him about the Warren Oil company mentioned as the maker of the Kirkland branded oil. They are a major customer of his and he confirmed they do buy the highest quality base oil from him.

I have no dog in this fight, as I am a Mobil1 guy, but I thought you guys might find that factoid interesting.

scott schmerge, cperez and gsxr like this.
  7. scott schmerge

good to hear. Thanks for sharing! Stubborn here and set in my ways. But based on that some folks will feel affirmed in their decision.

8. drkbrent

drkbrent New Member

There is nothing magical about a spec oil. It’s about licensing fees for the manufacturer! They make millions of dollars a year, selling the rights for oil companies to print their “spec” on the bottle. Porsche A30, MB 229.5, API SM, are all just specs that companies must pay to use. My Rover calls for “SAE 5W-30 WSS-M2C934-B. If unavailable, 5W-30 engine oils to ACEA C2 specification may be used.” The C2 spec is old, any of the newer specs are fine (has to do with diesel particulate filter). The Warren oil is absolutely fine (Costco. Wal-Mart, Amazon). For kicks, I’m uploading an invoice showing my local dealer wants $110 for a quart of transmission fluid!:laugh: 67811539-9CFA-415A-A255-EE1A3DAE7DB8.jpeg 67811539-9CFA-415A-A255-EE1A3DAE7DB8.jpeg

gsxr likes this.