Costco's Kirkland Signature 5W-20?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - doing an oil change in a tux...you really are a snob, I like that! Ha ha — kidding of course, all in good fun.

You say, “I still think sourcing a quality oil.....”. And based on your prior comments, that appears to say Kirkland brand is not quality oil. Do we know that to be factual? You’re attempting to introduce evidence that’s not proven, or entered. The judge is going to kick it out, and say, “whats next, move it along, I have a tee time at 1:15.”

You need to prove your case and provide the facts upholding your belief that Kirkland oil is bad, or low quality.

As to OE parts being the best - some truth to that, but also many aftermarket parts are equal to the OE stuff. I served many years as in-house council for a large manufacturer, that produced for automotive and heavy truck OEM’s, as well as several large aftermarket companies - lots of electronic and electromechanical items built on the same production lines, just stamped with different identifiers and put in different color boxes at the end of the line.....in my opinion, big name online retailers have tainted the reputation of the quality aftermarket parts suppliers — Offering OE parts and then a multitude of aftermarket versions, some of which can be 20-30% below the OE and true quality aftermarket stuff. The waters have been polluted big time, and it’s doubtful it will get better.

And lastly, I too love a good dirty martini - Vodka please, with 2 olives.

Cheers

Haha. Joking of course- I never change my oil in a full tux or drink a martini while doing it- but I could if I wanted to! That’s how little mess the mightyvac makes of the job.

To your point on the quality of Kirkland oil, I was not implying that I am certain it is not quality, anymore than I am certain that aftermarket parts are not quality. The point is for the $50-100/year I’d save on the oil, it’d add about $5000 worth of worry (the cost of the timing job).

I’m sure running the Kirkland brand makes sense to you, just as not running it makes sense to me. Clearly for me, I’d need more data that Kirkland brand was sourced from Mobil 1 or Castrol full synthetic plants before I even considered it, and even then I’d sweat the decision. I’d probably even put a aftermarket part on this thing before I put a store label brand oil in it- but that’s just me- to each their own.

I also look at it this way...when I sell this truck...if I ever sell this truck, I’ve got receipts and mileages of oil that has gone in it...if I’m a prospective buyer and you tell me you’ve filled it with Kirkland oil, I’m running from the deal.

RoverRover01

Reaction score
Haha. Joking of course- I never change my oil in a full tux or drink a martini while doing it- but I could if I wanted to! That’s how little mess the mightyvac makes of the job.

To your point on the quality of Kirkland oil, I was not implying that I am certain it is not quality, anymore than I am certain that aftermarket parts are not quality. The point is for the $50-100/year I’d save on the oil, it’d add about $5000 worth of worry (the cost of the timing job).

I’m sure running the Kirkland brand makes sense to you, just as not running it makes sense to me. Clearly for me, I’d need more data that Kirkland brand was sourced from Mobil 1 or Castrol full synthetic plants before I even considered it, and even then I’d sweat the decision. I’d probably even put a aftermarket part on this thing before I put a store label brand oil in it- but that’s just me- to each their own.

I also look at it this way...when I sell this truck...if I ever sell this truck, I’ve got receipts and mileages of oil that has gone in it...if I’m a prospective buyer and you tell me you’ve filled it with Kirkland oil, I’m running from the deal.

Scott - agree completely with you. All good my friend!!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott - agree completely with you. All good my friend!!
Yeah buddy. I saw @gsxr post about the source and that’s helpful info. May give some others confidence to take the plunge. Hope it turns out well and the $ saved far outweigh the risk!

always for saving money if it makes sense.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some anecdotal evidence, one of my drinking buddies is a marketer for a major oil refiner. I asked him about the Warren Oil company mentioned as the maker of the Kirkland branded oil. They are a major customer of his and he confirmed they do buy the highest quality base oil from him.

I have no dog in this fight, as I am a Mobil1 guy, but I thought you guys might find that factoid interesting.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some anecdotal evidence, one of my drinking buddies is a marketer for a major oil refiner. I asked him about the Warren Oil company mentioned as the maker of the Kirkland branded oil. They are a major customer of his and he confirmed they do buy the highest quality base oil from him.

I have no dog in this fight, as I am a Mobil1 guy, but I thought you guys might find that factoid interesting.

good to hear. Thanks for sharing! Stubborn here and set in my ways. But based on that some folks will feel affirmed in their decision.

drkbrent

Reaction score
There is nothing magical about a spec oil. It’s about licensing fees for the manufacturer! They make millions of dollars a year, selling the rights for oil companies to print their “spec” on the bottle. Porsche A30, MB 229.5, API SM, are all just specs that companies must pay to use. My Rover calls for “SAE 5W-30 WSS-M2C934-B. If unavailable, 5W-30 engine oils to ACEA C2 specification may be used.” The C2 spec is old, any of the newer specs are fine (has to do with diesel particulate filter). The Warren oil is absolutely fine (Costco. Wal-Mart, Amazon). For kicks, I’m uploading an invoice showing my local dealer wants $110 for a quart of transmission fluid!:laugh:
67811539-9CFA-415A-A255-EE1A3DAE7DB8.jpeg
67811539-9CFA-415A-A255-EE1A3DAE7DB8.jpeg

Tageu66

Reaction score
Can't believe the ******** about the Costco oil. No one complaining about the premium savings at the Costco gas pumps though!!!

ArmyRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously drive across town to fill up at Costco.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut