Couldn't pass it up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backcountry

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I've recently picked up a 95 Discovery 1 with 85k original miles in a deal that was to good to be true. And... you know what they say about that. I'm a life long off-roader and had never even ridden in a LR but have owned everything from IH Scouts to Broncos to Jeeps and trucks.
So, after a week or so of driving, all these little monsters are raising there ugly heads and I could use some advice as I'm sure these are all fairly normal problems with this vehicle. At the forefront is a fuel delivery issue. Pump is fine, filter is new. Was intermittent until now. Drive it somewhere, come out and won't start. Then it would start and run like there's no problem, until you stop again. Now, she's dead in the water. It would be nice to locate a wiring diagram of this circuit as I can't begin to understand the route it takes and the safeties that are in place. I just know that I'm going to love this truck at some point, I hope it is soon. Anyone care to dive in?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Download the RAVE manual in my signature it is the Land Rover repair manual.

Second. If filter is new and pump is fine have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Are you sure it is a fuel issue? When were the spark plugs and wires last changed? Air filter? MAF sensor dirty? Intake dirty? Alarm issues? I.E. is the light still flashing on the dash when you try to start it?

Any Codes? The 94-95 the codes are under the driver's seat if I recall correctly in a little box that flashes at you.

backcountry

Reaction score
Thank you sir.
1st, no pressure at the rail. 2nd, found the vac hose to the press reg. broken. trimmed and re applied. No codes. Initially, no power to the distributor. Changed the coil because it was original. Replaced amplifier because I had one that came with the truck. I'm beginning to think there is something that cuts the power when something else fails (coolant temp sensor maybe) IDK this is all new to me

backcountry

Reaction score
I have the RAVE but I can't figure out how the circuit is wired. I'm sure there are a series of switches in line but I'm not sure how to trace it or what readings I should have at the various controls. Are they either open or closed? That would be my guess but I've been wrong before. I just found the TPS wire pigtail has the insulation burned off the wires at both ends. Appears new. This is the oval connector (ridiculously expensive if you can find it) can you splice the wires together using the round connector version?

backcountry

Reaction score
I just tried to start it and I noticed nothing flashing on the dash as the motor is turning over. Honestly, I haven't had it long enough to know what is supposed to be flashing (if anything) at start up.
There are no known alarm issues. I would probably know if there were?
Air filter,new
MAF looks clean
Intake looks fine. I assume you're talking about around the plate (buildup)
Plugs and wires do not look new but when it is running, it runs and idles very smooth so I believe them to be at least perfectly functional.
Can anyone tell me where to find a schematic that will show me what is in line (electrically) with the fuel pump and possibly what readings should be at each component?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel pump has the relay near passenger foot well, you will hear it click if working. Then the fuel pump itself will run for a few seconds then shut off. If it is not running at all it can either be a wiring issue if the relay clicks yet the pump doesn't run. No pressure at the rail sounds like the pump never runs. There is a wiring connector near the drivers side inner fender that can have issues as well as the connector to the pump. But with the low mileage you are stating I wouldn't normally think that. Also in the rave should be the electrical manual as well. Not easy to read, but it is there. Also remember the 1995 will have Lucas Electrics so everything thing needs a good ground to work.

backcountry

Reaction score
Thanks Joey. I did a little poking around today with a test light. Its my understanding that there are a lot of safeties wired in series before the fuel pump is energized. I assume that some are normally closed switches and others will show some resistance. I looked in the rave, in the mfi section and in electrical. the mfi section gives the list and location of these safeties (for lack of a better word) but I didn't see anything in electrical that would give me a place to start. For instance: with the key on, one side of the coolant temp sensor has a weak voltage and the other side has none. I have no voltage to the TPS plug. The fuel temp sensor at the back of the EFI has 4 wires 2 have voltage, 2 do not. I think I'm correct that the fault lies somewhere between the FTS and the TPS. My brain is mush at this point and I really am having trouble wrapping it around this (new to me) system. But am I correct in thinking that the coolant temp sensor is bad? Is it true that the Coolant sensor could break the power to the fuel pump? I did jump across the Coolant sensor plug but it had no positive affect.
The relay at the foot well sits next to or under the ECU? I pulled the washer bottle and it looks like you have to access some fasteners from the engine compartment and others from under the dash. Is this correct or is there an easier way?
What I thought was the fuel pump running for a few seconds was obviously something else because I exposed the fuel pump today and it is not running. However, the relay does click. So...I have lost my power. BTW I did check the plug you mentioned if its the one that sits on top of the frame just behind the drivers rear wheel.
Im going back to the electrical section of the rave. God willing, I'll find the schematic

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9