Decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sine mora

Reaction score
Here's the situation.... I've had my 2000 DiscoII for about six five years now. She's got 180K miles and I honestly love this rig. However, she's no spring chicken and I have beat the heck out of her punching through the woods on trails meant for four wheelers. Front bumper is demolished and the paint looks like I've been dancing with Edward Scissor Hands.

I've spent a fair chunk of money in the last few years on:
OME shocks and steering stabilizer
replacing the drive shaft (Just the rear one, I think..)
Heavy duty springs to replace the air suspension
about $750 in tires that are still in great shape
Just replaced the coils and the auxillary fan (that damn thing was spendy!!)

She's running alright but with brake fluid leaking from the master cylinder, rotors that need replacing, and leaking about a quart of oil every 4,000 miles, I'm thinking it may be time to consider replacing her.

SOOOO I have just about convinced my smokin hot fiance that it makes sense to just grab a newer disco II and rob the better parts off of my current one, but to be honest, I really don't know if/what parts will even fit on an 03 or 04.

My questions are:

What would you do? My budget is about $6,000 and there's a handful of 2002, 2003, and 2004 in the area in that neighborhood.

If I do this, what parts should I consider swapping with the 2000 assuming the "new" disco will have about 100K miles on it. I would eventually sell the old rover but won't get much more than one or two grand for her.

I will get to searching for "what to look for in an 03 or 04 disco" but in the meantime I'd like to hear if you think this is a crazy idea or not.... I've got a Land Rover appetite but a lousily paid paramedic's salary...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Well when my 97 Disco started showing signs of age, I bought a 2002 Disco... sadly not much if anything is transferable from D1 to D2. Other than my rear drive shaft and a few other small things.

If it were me... Just pick up another Disco that makes you happy... 03/04 will have the 4.6 engine but other than that most stuff transfers right over. Spend a little and upgrade the front bumper and save some front end issue.

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many Disco 2s in Orange county and LA county that are getting dumped for really simple problems.
It seams that the owners take their Disco 2 to the LR dealer and the sticker shock is too unbearable. Next thing its on Craigslist for sale for $4500.00 obo although the 03s and 04s fetch a much higher price because of the cool headlights (what ever).
I don't know where you live but the cost of a good deal and a cheap fix would off set the transportation fees to have it shipped to your home. All you need to do is get someone on the forum that lives near the area that knows the cost of some of the common fixes to have a look at it and give you a comprehensive evaluation while you are on the phone if its too far to drive.

Remember the 2002 through 2004s don't have the CDL lock installed on the transmission.
If you bought an earlier model then the 03 you could strip you head light assembly off your rig and install it on an older model.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo