Diff and Tcase service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be attempting to change the diff and t-case fluids this week. I have never done this on a LR and was hoping I could get some advice. What oil? 90wt? Is there a gasket involved with the diffs? any other pointers?

D

discomike

Ares,
There are no gaskets involved, just plugs. What year and model is your truck, how much off road driving do you do and do you get into alot of water???
If you have a newer truck, 99 and up, they have synthetic oil, if you have lockers I would suggest going to the 140 wt. oil for extra protection for the diffs.
Mike J.

S

super_poser

Hi John, I did the same thing this weekend. No gaskets or anything. A 1/2 drive ratchet will fit the the drain and fill plugs. The transfer case is a little harder just because there is not a lot of room to work. Its always a good idea to take the fill plug out first, to make sure that you can refill it after its drained. I use one of the plastic hand pumps that you use for kerosene heaters to pump the diff fluid back in. The first time I did it I made a terrible mess trying to pour the oil in the diff. Another trick that I learned from someone else is to get a piece of scrap carpet under the Rover while you are working so you dont dirty up the driveway with drippings. I went all out this weekend and changed diff, transmission and engine oil. Also changed the fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, rotor cap and rotor button. Hope this helps.
Charles Allen :biggrin:

Roverhound

Reaction score
Land Rover specifies 75W90 for diffs and transfer case, I use Mobil 1 synthetic in mine.
The carpet trick is a good idea as is the kerosene pump for the t-case. It's pretty tight under there.
I was able to get oil in the t-case by using a 1 1/2' piece of tube and resting the bottle on top of the muffler.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get the diffs done. Stupid easy! I didnt know they had drain plugs. I'll attempt the tcase this weekend. Thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid question.

D

discomike

John,
That wasn't a stupid question, it was pretty obvious that you haven'
t crawled under your truck much and bonded, you may want to especially if you do much off road wheeling cause it is good to know what makes your truck tick.
Have a good day,
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9