Differnt "Spin" on Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Nito Grapplers 255 R55 18's on my 05. When I bought the '08 the dealer "threw in" a set of Toyo Open Country 255 R55 18's (same tread, made in the same factory). So for most of the last 5 years I've had to guess how fast I was going (the speedometer reads about 4-5% higher than my GPS says I'm going). At nearly 40k, the Toyo's are starting to show their age.

I was at Discount tire getting a flat fixed last week and just happened to ask "does anyone have a 255 R60 18 in a decent tread?". The guy said "sure, Nito, Toyo, and Hancock all have the same tread you're running in that size". The Hancock's had a 50,000 mile warranty and were $10/tire cheeper so I ordered them. They should be in next week.

My question is "has anyone tried these taller tires in a decent tread, and have you noticed any difference on or off road?". I ran the Good-for-One-Year tires that came on the '05 for about 6-months and seemed to spin tires a bunch more than I have since, so I don't think that was much of a test (and they were worn out in 10k miles). The basic tread pattern has been great on both cars, but I didn't know if the extra 1/2 inch or so of tire diameter would cause any problems. I'm really looking forward to not having to do math to tell my speed.

David

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say that you had 255/55/18....which isn't a factory size. Unless you meant 18 as 19. So 255/60/18 is factory on the SE. So your speedo and such will be accurate for the most part, so no problems, since it was a factory size.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you read my post at all? I've been running 255 R55 18 for a long time. I know that is not the size that LR puts on the vehicle, but it is the size that a lot of us have been running because you couldn't buy a decent tire in 255 R60 18.

David

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read it, and I believe the question was "Will a 255/60/18 have any negative affect on anything?"

I answered no, as it is a factory size. Sorry if I mis read it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is "has anyone tried these taller tires in a decent tread, and have you noticed any difference on or off road?"

Read it yourself...you ask if anyone has tried the taller than smaller than stock, which is of course stock. It's not like the truck 'got used to' the smaller size and will reject the stock size. And yes, EVERYONE has noticed a difference off road with a better tread.

Truthfully, it's kind of an absurd post if you think about it. And yes, the Hankooks are supposed to be pretty awesome. That's what I'm going with next :)

Trynian

Reaction score
Actually I think 255/55/18 is a factory size for the v6 se model.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99