DIY water pump and crossover pipe Video.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huy Tran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it might be harder.
The dealership originally gave me the wrong part and I had to explain to them the difference.
upload_2019-2-1_10-0-38.png

Although the mounting location on the head is more forward the front of the car, the screw location might be harder to access.
The V8 has two screws per side where the V6 has three. One of the screw is at the bottom of the pipe.
The hardest part for me was disconnecting the hoses and wire harness from the back. The design of the pipe put those connections at the same place on both models.
Also, it seems to me that the V6 might be more prone to failure due to the long skinny runners and attachments in the back of them.
Time will tell.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I see that now, the long runners still place the cross pipe in same location. I was just hoping for some kind of break on this, but I still have not decided it I am going to work on it when parts fail or just find a good shop. As I get older (60), I find myself picking my projects, and I enjoy working on the L322,930 and D90. Prob not so much on the Lr4. We'll see....

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine a couple days ago. It was a bit of a challenge for me to reach back there to do the work.
The rear had a small crack at the top that leaked coolant down the back of the engine and transmission.
Picked up the part at the dealership for $115 (Heater manifold LR109402 for V8 and LR109401 for V6).

Seemed fairly straight forward after studying pictures of the engine.
Here's a quick sketch.
View attachment 9054
I removed the intake manifold as I was going to replace the front crossover pipe as well.
-Disconnect the small coolant hose at the top that connects to the intake.
-Unscrew the 4 screw. Some are visible. Others you'll have to do it by feeling around.
-Unplug the sensor and remove the two wire loom ties/holder. I had to break them off as I was not able pry off.
-Remove heater hose connector. I struggled for a while to unclip it from the back, then realized that it was easier to unclip further up the hose (past the bleeder screw).
View attachment 9055

That's it! Just reassemble and zip tie the wires back in place.

As a side note. My new front crossover pipe did not come with a bleeder cap (LR011038 green on image).
View attachment 9056
When i tried removing the old one, it just fell apart. Need to make another run to the dealership...

Quick question on this before I attempt...looks possible to do with out removing intake manifold. Anything that might prevent removal with the intake manifold still fitted? I just did front crossover two months ago, so all good and dry there.

Huy Tran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done without removing the intake manifold. It'll just be a harder to see the screws and wire loom. Everything will have to be done by feel.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done without removing the intake manifold. It'll just be a harder to see the screws and wire loom. Everything will have to be done by feel.

Yeah, I thought about it a bit last night and looks like it’s worth undoing the 14 bolts (10 manifold, 4 throttle body) and fuel line it would take to get there. Thanks for the additional info. I’ll attempt some photos and post in a separate thread so there’s a separate how-to.

Huy Tran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to remove the throttle body from the manifold. It can all come out in one piece. First, disconnect the smaller coolant hose from the top of the heater manifold that runs to the underside of the throttle body. Then disconnect the wire harness from the back of the intake manifold. You'll then be able to lift the whole intake out.
The separate How-To would be great.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m 1/2 way there. Actually not that bad of a repair...if you’re doing the front crossover, definitely worthwhile to do this at the same time. My LR Indy told me these things never break, but mine certainly had sprung a leak. For the extra 30 minutes it takes, I’d highly recommend tacking this repair on. I’ll post video on the tear down and reassembly as soon as I’ve completed the job. My part arrives tomorrow

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice video. For some reason, clicking on the link didn't work for me. I had to copy and paste it into a browser.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72