1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY water pump and crossover pipe Video.

Discussion in 'LR4' started by kennyao3001, Sep 24, 2018.

1. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

If I changed both crossover pipes and the water pump, how much coolant should I have on hand?

2. jlglr4

jlglr4 Full Access Member

I did both crossovers, waterpump, and the T-stat lower hose (you loose a little more coolant going down that low), and I have a supercharged model - so you loose all the coolant in the supercharger. The dealer thought I could get by with 1 gallon, but I bought 2. I believe I used just a little from the second bottle. If you’re doing the V8 (no supercharger) and not replacing the T-stat, I think you should get by with 1 gallon (concentrate).

ryanjl likes this.
  3. portlandlife

portlandlife Member

I changed my front and rear crossover pipes and nothing else. I used less than a gallon to top it off.

ryanjl likes this.
  4. expedio2005

expedio2005 Member

not to hijack this thread but what coolant did everyone use? I have a 2014 v6 and it appears the coolant is orange. I went to the local parts store and the coolant I bought that they said was compatible was pink. Is everyone really buying coolant from the LR dealer?

5. DaytonaRS7

DaytonaRS7 Full Access Member

I used dexcool fluid.

I think this is a very debated topic.

Whatever you choose, dont mix dexcool and green/yellow (standard) fluid.

expedio2005 likes this.
  6. jlglr4

jlglr4 Full Access Member

Yes, be careful mixing different coolants. Clearly green and pink should not be mixed. I’ve read that some pinks can be mixed with orange, but going just based on the dye color is risky. You should look at the chemistry. If I were switching to a different type of coolant, I would flush the system thoroughly with water first unless I had it on very good authority that the two coolants won’t react. I just used the JLR stuff so I didn’t have to worry about it - the savings on a gallon of coolant wasn’t worth worrying about. I think it was $25-30 from my dealer ordering online.

7. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

Pentosin SF (Silicate free) and is pink.

8. Dortmunder

Dortmunder Member

I just did front & rear crossovers, water pump, and the large top hose from top of radiator to crossover pipe on my 13' LR. I was at 135k miles with no leaks or loss of coolant all on the original water pump and rear crossover with only the front crossover and thermostat being replaced at 90k miles. Used a little more than 1/2 a gallon of coolant. All is pretty easy, took me just under 6 hours to complete. Getting to that rear crossover was a pain and took the longest just like others mention on here.

One thing I don't see very many people mention or mention very little about it when replacing the water pump is the little plastic elbow fitting that goes into the water pump (small bleeder valve) coming from the thermostat hose to front of water pump. You got to be very careful when removing it (I see it mentioned but not clear enough on how delicate it really is) as it does not come with the water pump or sold separate, you have to buy a whole new small hose assembly $70 for a $0.02 cent elbow and this thing literally disintegrated and crumbled into tiny pieces when removing and I was super careful as I was already aware when watching this video and others. Luckily my local dealer had the assembly in stock, if not, that would have stopped the job and caused delays waiting for parts to arrive. May be a good idea just to order it new on high mileage cars.

ryanjl and blake aiken like this.