DIY water pump and crossover pipe Video.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bushwa

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I tackled the water pump a couple weeks ago, and of course didn’t do proper diagnostics or research and didn’t do the crossover pipe at the time. Have a cooling system pressure tester now. I suctioned any coolant I can see out of the valley and when pressuring up can see it filling and dripping down near where the crossover pipe goes into the head. Eventually running down front of engine. Now to get to my question, can I remove the intake and replace the crossover without removing the water pump again?
Thanks!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I tackled the water pump a couple weeks ago, and of course didn’t do proper diagnostics or research and didn’t do the crossover pipe at the time. Have a cooling system pressure tester now. I suctioned any coolant I can see out of the valley and when pressuring up can see it filling and dripping down near where the crossover pipe goes into the head. Eventually running down front of engine. Now to get to my question, can I remove the intake and replace the crossover without removing the water pump again?
Thanks!

Yes you can. Just be sure to remove the plastic fitting and hose from the front of the water pump so that you don’t snap that little elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
You don't need to remove the water pump. Just take off the intake manifold, remove/replace the crossover pipe, and bleed your cooling system.

Bushwa

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Got it done tonight. Followed service manual far enough to lift front of intake for access. Removed throttle body from intake so it could more or less stay in position and the Coolant system could stay sealed. Once the intake was lifted, I pressured up the cooling system and confirmed leak was coming from base of the crossover tube. Upon removal, the o-rings and bottom part of the pipes that stick in the head, broke completely off and were stuck in the head. I’ll post a pic later. Doing it this way, I was able to pressure it up again with the new pipe in place and confirm it held pressure and wasn’t leaking from anywhere else.
I did have a cyl3 misfire, and limp mode/flashing CEL on first drive around block, cleared code, restarted, let it idle a bit and it was fine. Maybe just air in the fuel line, since it was removed?

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Got it done tonight. Followed service manual far enough to lift front of intake for access. Removed throttle body from intake so it could more or less stay in position and the Coolant system could stay sealed. Once the intake was lifted, I pressured up the cooling system and confirmed leak was coming from base of the crossover tube. Upon removal, the o-rings and bottom part of the pipes that stick in the head, broke completely off and were stuck in the head. I’ll post a pic later. Doing it this way, I was able to pressure it up again with the new pipe in place and confirm it held pressure and wasn’t leaking from anywhere else.
I did have a cyl3 misfire, and limp mode/flashing CEL on first drive around block, cleared code, restarted, let it idle a bit and it was fine. Maybe just air in the fuel line, since it was removed?

that’s good news. Not sure why you got the misfire. Sounds a little odd, but maybe some air got in the line as you mentioned or possibly a bit of debris/dirt when you cracked the line. Sounds like it’s all clear now.

interesting the cel was flashing as that would indicate unburnt fuel was hitting the catalytic converters so the fuel was not ignited (which would support the misfire code).

Bushwa

Reaction score
Pic of my crossover pipe that came out had to pick the Orings and end of the pipes out of the block lol
B7672FA2-8295-43B9-8E7A-EF52CAB02CFA.jpeg

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks. I will buy some just in case. How many gaskets do I need? Two?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks. I will buy some just in case. How many gaskets do I need? Two?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

There’s one between the throttle body and intake. There are 8 between the intake manifold and the top of the intakes (one for each cylinder).

LAND ROVER INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET RANGE ROVER 10-12 13 ON RANGE ROVER SPORT 10-13 LR4 SET OF 8 LR010881 NEW https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHNCVZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_r6IoEbFRJZBMM

Genuine LAND ROVER THROTTLE BODY GASKET LR3 LR4 4.0 V6 4650787 NEW https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VL3G8C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_87IoEbVQW0BM6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72