ECO Auto Start/Stop Not Available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpr993

Reaction score
Agree that this is likely a start/stop battery issue. IIDT will tell you, if you have one handy. I just replaced one of these batteries and had a hell of a time finding an inexpensive OEM (it's an Exide EK151) but Exide does not sell these OEM in the USA.

What are others using?

My dealership wanted $328.

I did manage to order one from Europe and he agreed to ship despite the dangerous goods warnings of DHL and it arrived at my door for under $100 USD.

One other note on this, be sure to use IIDT to reset the battery (the replace battery function - I reset both primary and secondary) if your Auto Start/Stop continues to not operate.

Robin Parsons

Reaction score
So after looking everywhere on line...after quotes from $374.00 to $450.00 for the exact JLR start battery by Exide, i found an AGM motorcycle battery, 12 vdc, 14 ah, 220 cca, which fits, not oerfectly, but adequately. I had to modify the retaining bracket, and machine some post adaptors, but it works great. Used the icar tool to reset the battery change option, and the message is gone, and eco mode working again.

I am getting a bunch of post adaptor with screw sets made, about $10.00 a set. If anyone needs a set, let me know.

20181224_153351.jpg

20181224_153334.jpg

Haleakala

Reaction score
What did you pay for the battery? I think I might be interested in doing this.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Digging this up as my start/stop battery has kicked the bucket. Did you have any of those post adaptor sets left?

Robuk

Reaction score
Do you get any actual benefit from stop start as against replacement battery costs?, is your battery actually bad or just under charged, try charging with a Ctech charger before junking battery, you can deactivate the stop/start system quite easily by just disconnecting the sensor on the negative rail of the starter battery, when done on a Mercedes no cel on dash and car drives normally.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can deactivate the stop/start system quite easily by just disconnecting the sensor on the negative rail of the starter battery

As far as I know, the sensor on the negative rail of the start battery is the only connection to the BMS, which controls the alternator output based on the battery charge detection. So, disconnecting this is not a good option, and I believe the warning will still pop up.

That video posted above is a different system than what is on our LR4’s.

Pretty sure people have tried every option to get this figured out, but nothing seems to work.

Pagoda

Reaction score
...one way to get the SS to stop working and not throw a fault light is to run a really weak main battery throughout the winter, as I found out (not a great plan). I knew my main battery (2016 original battery) was on the way out as the voltage was low and it didn't hold what it had brilliantly. The start/stop no longer functioned after a while into the winter despite being a new and fully charged battery. My H7 battery died yesterday, finally, and I replaced it with an Energizer H8 - just squeezed it in. Hey presto start/stop is back!

Mixed feelings.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi