Emergency key (blade key) not unlocking LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roversurf

Reaction score
Weird one for you guys, but figured I would try here. A few months ago I had a copy of my emergency blade key made for my 16 lr4 so that I can take it into the water when I go surfing. I have done this probably 20+ times without issue. I leave my key fob inside the LR4 and lock the car manually with the blade key. Truck fully locks and I have never had an issue before. I do this bc out here in CA people will crack your lock box or watch you hide your key, follow you to beach and steal the key etc., so this is the safest route to not get robbed (which I have been before via lockbox)

This week I got locked out and it now appears that my blade key will lock all door locks fine, but will not unlock the door. The key turns both directions fine, it just will not unlock. I have tried lock lubricant sprays my locksmith recommended to no luck. Locksmith and local indy are stumped and thinking I need to rekey entire truck (all door and ignition since Landrover wont sell just new door lock, not cheap). I can't imagine the emergency key is only made to work a few times. I do this on my other cars for years with zero issues. Any one here have any thoughts?

thanks in advance

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. No idea on that one. Perhaps move somewhere with less crime?

blake aiken

Reaction score
Does the passenger side have the same style lock? I wonder if the lock tumbler is broken, happened on one of my bmws and I just had to rebuild it. I def should start doing this when I go to the bike park

PoorLifeDecisions

Reaction score
Does the passenger side have the same style lock? I wonder if the lock tumbler is broken, happened on one of my bmws and I just had to rebuild it. I def should start doing this when I go to the bike park

The emergency key access (lock) is only on the driver's side door.

OP, does passive unlocking work on the driver's door?

Sorry to veer off topic, but at least you don't have to deal with this:
lock.jpg

Roversurf

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yes passive unlocking (keyless entry and clicking keyfob) work totally fine

Omg man, yeah luckily no key snap!

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has me concerned because I always thought of the blade key as an almost foolproof way to get into the truck, i.e., if I lose my key when I’m out in the middle of nowhere. So, I started looking at the service manual, and apparently the key barrel is not truly a mechanical lock. It appears to be just another electrical switch activated by turning the mechanical key. I say this because of this passage below referring to a fault code for the key barrel “switch.” That suggests that the blade won’t work if the battery is flat dead (though it probably only requires a tiny bit of energy). Seems hard to believe there is no purely mechanical way to access the vehicle.

To the OP’s problem, this could be an electrical problem? Maybe look for a code?

BBE13FF2-CC4F-42E6-9523-83B2B0F9C228.jpeg

Roversurf

Reaction score
I just assumed it was mechanical too, but now that I think about it, when I used the emergency key prior to the issue it unlocked all of the doors (and locks all doors as well) What a great point, It must be a short or something which would explain why it still locks the doors fine, just shorts on unlock. Thanks for checking this!

I'll have my guy check it for a fault and follow up with everyone

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that it's the signal from the key fob located inside the vehicle which overrides the lock from working electronically. It's doing this for your safety as the fob assumes that you're in the vehicle with the doors locked, so using the external key to try and open the lock is perceived as an intruder and therefore it won't unlock it.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had to access my D3 using the blade key. I found that I had to turn the key so far in the mechanism that I felt like it was on the verge of breaking. Are you sure you’re turning it far enough?

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use these awesome little waterproof pouches that velcro to your arm or ankle while paddle boarding. There are a million on amazon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA