Engine stall, reduced engine performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliCruiser

Reaction score
I posted this on a thread for engine stall, but realized it went to the range rover forum; I am reposting for the LR3 fourm. Story:
-2006 LR3 HSE, purchased in 2005
-159K miles
-All routine service, and those lovely unexpected LR fails all serviced at our local dealer.
-Within 6 months of purchase, the car stalled while driving on the freeway.
-Dealer ripped apart the car, and replaced the gas tank (tank was a known problem back then, though this car already had the new tank). They let the battery die, and had to erase/reload all software. Never had the problem again until now.
-3 weeks ago, warm engine, 'reduced engine performance' warning came on. Within 10 minutes, driving slow/low idle turning up my driveway, engine stalls corresponding to a dip in idle. I could reproduce this 2 additional times. Next day 'reduced engine performance' is gone. Take car to dealer. No alerts or codes. Cant find anything wrong.
-3 days ago, cruise control set at 70 on freeway, 'reduced engine' comes on again, but dissapears within a minute or so. I turn off cruise control, drive another 20 miles, with multiple stops and turns off the freeway without a problem at first, and then while mid-turn on a corner, it stalls. No power. I have enough momentum to stop on the next street and restart the engine easily.
-problem has not come back yet, but I don't want to get broadsided if it stalls while I make a left hand turn across a busy street...
-the only other peculiar thing for more than a year is that it will have trouble starting if the tank is < or= 1/4 full, especially on a nose down incline. We avoid this problem by always having more than 1/4 tank gas.

I have an appointment with the dealer, any ideas I should pass on? Thanks for your help!

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How recently has your MAF sensor been replaced and your throttle body cleaned? Mine had a stalling issue that was a combo of a bad MAF sensor and a dirty TB. I didn't get any codes at first but didn't get the reduced engine performance message either.

If you haven't done those, I'd give them a shot. They need to be done anyway and are easy to DIY. MAF sensor is $80 at Autozone and get some TB cleaner there too. On youtube there's a good vid of how to clean the TB. It helped my LR3 immensely. Idles like new now. Before it would surge badly.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dirty or bad MAF sensor. REP message will come and go when it is dirty or damaged, and you'll eventually stall while driving, while pulling at a stoplight, etc. as the sensor sends bogus info to the ECU and the engine starves for air. You can try cleaning the air meter as well, although you may ultimately need to replace it. If you do decide to clean it first, make sure you use a cleaner that's specific for Mass Air Flow sensors (search for MAF sensor cleaner online if your nearby auto parts shop doesn't stock it), as other cleaners can either be too aggressive for the delicate filament, or may leave behind residues, doing more damage than good. Good idea to clean the throttle body as well while you're at it, if the MAF sensor is caked up with dirt your TB may not look much better.

Last edited:

stl8grey

Reaction score
I am having the same issue on a 2012 Lr4. Stalls at slow roll, sometimes a idle. All new parts in last 3 weeks include new high pressure pumps, new low pressure tank pump, filter and seal on top of tank, crank sensor, MAF sensors, air filters, injector cleaning service, throttle body removed and cleaned, new fuel pump relay, new LR oem gas cap, new battery and hard reset on ecu. Original codes to start this whole adventure were P0087 and P2279. They have been cleared and have not reappeared. Vehicle starts right up after shut down. All electronics stay on during shutdown. No stumble, no surging, no warning. No smoke, no misfire. Idles great. You can hardly notice the LR4 is even on. Some days it runs great all day. Some days it dies and dies and dies. No new codes. No CEL. Fuel pressure while driving is 2150 avg. At idle, 650 avg. At key on 67psi. Alternator is charging 14.1. Any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issue on a 2012 Lr4. Stalls at slow roll, sometimes a idle. All new parts in last 3 weeks include new high pressure pumps, new low pressure tank pump, filter and seal on top of tank, crank sensor, MAF sensors, air filters, injector cleaning service, throttle body removed and cleaned, new fuel pump relay, new LR oem gas cap, new battery and hard reset on ecu. Original codes to start this whole adventure were P0087 and P2279. They have been cleared and have not reappeared. Vehicle starts right up after shut down. All electronics stay on during shutdown. No stumble, no surging, no warning. No smoke, no misfire. Idles great. You can hardly notice the LR4 is even on. Some days it runs great all day. Some days it dies and dies and dies. No new codes. No CEL. Fuel pressure while driving is 2150 avg. At idle, 650 avg. At key on 67psi. Alternator is charging 14.1. Any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks

did you ever isolate your issue? If so, curious abt the solution.

stl8grey

Reaction score
Yes. It was the high pressure sensor located on the passenger side of the transmission.

Alexis Segura

Reaction score
Yes. It was the high pressure sensor located on the passenger side of the transmission.
I am having the same issue on my 2013 Lr4, where did you buy the sensor you replaced it with? I cleaned the MAF sensors but it still showing me the code of p0087 to start it cranks quite a bit and starts shaking but calms down within a minute or two runs normal defiantly lacking some power I through some fuel cleaner kbw22 last night drove to downtown this morning but light still on. Any suggestions?

neeleyms

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my 2012 LR4. The mechanic says it's the high pressure fuel injectors.

All, I'm having the same issue on my 2012 LR4. Codes are P0850-8F , P050E-00, and P2279-00. The latter code assumed to be the main culprit for LR4 stalling and shutting off on idle. Have replaced LR05356 the low fuel pressure sensor. Any one have any leads on this?

stl8grey

Reaction score
Ok. I mistyped. It is the "low" pressure sensor on the passenger side of the transmission. LR015356. Yet, let me say this. This is our second paid in full LR4's. I have done more work on this LR4 than any other vehicle I own. From sensors to everything coolant related (except rear hose). I have no idea why I kept working on it other than the fact that it is a beautiful automobile. I still own it with 236K miles on the 5.0. It is actually our farm/ranch/hunting vehicle. We do not take it out on the road anymore. After we replaced, all in one shot, everything coolant related, minusbthevrear hoses and heater core, it continued to display a Low Coolant warning and the engine would reduce engine performance. Then the valves or sleeves would clatter. Yet, at idle it was fine. So, it is now or "Ranger/Mule. I was not going to mess with it anymore. I figured at 236K it earned its keep.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72