Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tetontrees

Reaction score
Allrighty then. Spent a few hours reviewing the thread and am ready to order. Think I am gonna -1 to 18 inch KO2s in 265/65. Now for the wheels.

Looking at the Mozambique wheel from Black Rhino. don't see much chatter on here about BR wheels as everyone is on OEM or the Compomotives. I did find one picture of an LR on them so it would appear they will fit. anyone have any experience with the brand? will go with the compomotives if it means I am getting a much superior product, but i do like the look of the Mozambiques.,,TIA

https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/truck-wheels-truck-rims-mozambique.php

MOZAMBIQUES.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest Good To Know. I will begin research on the "standard wheel well area modifications"
Sounds like the rods lead to reduced articulation and therefore lower off-road capability because of the reduced tire to ground contact?
Thank you.

1- front wiring harness on driver side that sits against frame. Larger tire will contact frame here just barely, move harness upward roughly 4-6" and zip tie. May need to detach connection points to gain some slack. I recall there being a plastic offset clip there that hangs downward. Reversing it up and reconnecting wiring tube, may be sufficient.

2- frame "horns" at 3 o'clock on driver side (must do both sides). Taller tires scrub it. I 'think 31" 265/65-18 does not but 275/65 32" would for sure. the smaller one might though....

3-rear hvac lines and/or body 'flange/seam' at passenger side 3 o'clock. The seam is on both sides, the tubing is just passenger side (on left hand drive cars). This can be helped by clamping off the coolant line somewhere so that you can disconnect the line here, and add in some more flexible rubber hose for better routing. The goal being to flatten the body standing seam there and remove the bulge in the plastic fender liner. On mine the bulge is cut out, and flat piece riveted in place.

4- oh front bumper probably has some issues but i cannot help because mine was gone within first month so I don't recall. I do know the factory bumper there is super tight past 265/65.

Notes: being an lr4 thread, one must realize that spacers make some rub points worse except the number 1 above.

Frame horn-worse
front bumper-worse,
inner fender liner at full flex upward into fender flare-worse

This also applies to wider offset wheels like the compomotives, BUT, they are only slight whereas spacers, even the 25mm I have, make the situation very tricky.

On tire width, the tightest spot on the UCA is when the suspension is fully drooped.

A couple other bits: left n right wheels do not exactly mirror same clearances due to assembly and probably some other geometry reasons so you must check both sides.

The rear wheels move forward and of course tuck in when raising suspension. Thus, clearance against a slider is tightest when fully lifted. The rear wheels also tuck in at the bottom when lifted vs splay out at bottom and tuck the top when compressed. This helps a lot tucking the rear tires into the fender upper edge and can allow much taller tires to be used if they are narrow enough.

The best size ratio for lr3/4 is 256/70 with 285/60 or esp 285/65 being fairly terrible without a lot of work. 255/70-18 would be the bomb actually

tetontrees

Reaction score
255/70-18 would be the bomb actually
looks like BFG does offer the KO2 in 255/70r18.
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/32041
i always have liked the very tall but skinny look on a rover...i'm not tracking this thing and aside from soft sand a narrower tire seems to be mare capable, no? thanks for all of the above info. truly appreciate the knowledge.

does going with a 265/65r18 or perhaps that 255/70 (KO2, most likely. maybe nitto RGs) avoid all of the above issues aside from minor rubbing under extreme compression?

Last edited:

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add an update on the Ridge Grapplers since I was the guinea pig. I've noticed a couple of cases where I do get a tiny bit of rubbing. For some reason when I'm in reverse at full lock with the wheel turned right it touches a bit and as I reverse uphill same direction. It really isn't bad but I'm ready to shave off frame horn if needed if it gets bad off road. Still amazed at how quiet they are.

tetontrees

Reaction score
I wanted to add an update on the Ridge Grapplers since I was the guinea pig. I've noticed a couple of cases where I do get a tiny bit of rubbing. For some reason when I'm in reverse at full lock with the wheel turned right it touches a bit and as I reverse uphill same direction. It really isn't bad but I'm ready to shave off frame horn if needed if it gets bad off road. Still amazed at how quiet they are.
nice. seriously considering these vs. the KO2s. Quiet sounds nice. We do a lot of highway to get to the dirt.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like BFG does offer the KO2 in 255/70r18.
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/32041
i always have liked the very tall but skinny look on a rover...i'm not tracking this thing and aside from soft sand a narrower tire seems to be mare capable, no? thanks for all of the above info. truly appreciate the knowledge.

does going with a 265/65r18 or perhaps that 255/70 (KO2, most likely. maybe nitto RGs) avoid all of the above issues aside from minor rubbing under extreme compression?

Note that in sand, as tall as possible let's you air down more than a wider tire that you can fit equally on the vehicle. In other words, narrower but taller is far better than wider and slightly shorter. Do some research, sand is best with a long deflated contact shape as opposed to a wide shape. The wide shape pushes while the long patch rolls more like tank treads.

Also be aware, that size you listed is a D load range.....it's probably right at the minimum safe load rating and I think the sidewalls are less strong as well. You'd be best talking BFG tech support on that.

I meant to write 265/70-18 though. It's right at 32.5", is PERFECT width proportion on an 8" wheel, it's 1lb lighter than the 275/65. Even though the height is tall, it's narrower tread will allow the best clearances in the tight spots.

tetontrees

Reaction score
Also be aware, that size you listed is a D load range.....it's probably right at the minimum safe load rating and I think the sidewalls are less strong as well. You'd be best talking BFG tech support on that.

I meant to write 265/70-18 though. It's right at 32.5", is PERFECT width proportion on an 8" wheel, it's 1lb lighter than the 275/65. Even though the height is tall, it's narrower tread will allow the best clearances in the tight spots.

@jwest 265/70-18 is offered...I see an E1 load rating and LT designation in this size. should be good, right?

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/10389

Last edited:

tetontrees

Reaction score
It’s 32.5” size would absolutely require the mods.
gotcha. might be more of a project than I am up for at this time. probably just go with the 265/65-18s.

now onto adding a second battery as I want to run a fridge. looks like traxide is the way to go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72