Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the PD1881s because I wanted a smaller diameter (originally 19”) so I could fit the slightly oversized BFG 265/65/18s and have the larger V8 Brakes fitted. The deeper profile tyre is better for the off road stuff!
Oh, and compos look great!
Ride is great, soaks up those bumps and *** holes (roads are terrible here in the UK at present).
I thought the car would roll more on the deeper side walls, but corners like the 19”s.
Going laning next weekend to Wales for some off road testing!

Don't the 18" LR3 wheels fit all LR3 models? I thought the V6 model had brakes that could fit 17" wheels, but the V8 LR3 could still fit 18"?

At least I know that's the way it is in the U.S.

TongaExplorer

Reaction score
Don't the 18" LR3 wheels fit all LR3 models? I thought the V6 model had brakes that could fit 17" wheels, but the V8 LR3 could still fit 18"?

At least I know that's the way it is in the U.S.

18” LR wheels are an option, but I wanted the look of the compos!:)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does look great, and it makes me miss my Tonga LR3. What a great color. On my LR4 with 265 60s I think I'm at 42/48 psi. Ride is a little firm but I'm used to it.

I went the poor man's route to 18" wheels but am happy with the result

2czbxn6.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does look great, and it makes me miss my Tonga LR3. What a great color. On my LR4 with 265 60s I think I'm at 42/48 psi. Ride is a little firm but I'm used to it.

I went the poor man's route to 18" wheels but am happy with the result

Mt 2006 lr3 hse was Tonga as well. My fav colors are white, green, black. My 1996 disco is white, my 2004 d2 is Vienna Green which is a light metallic sage with the gorgeous Aspen greens interior, and this lr3 is Java black, which is my fav black due to warm undertone.

IMO you had a typo that I fixed here: " 'smart' man's route" ;)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mt 2006 lr3 hse was Tonga as well. My fav colors are white, green, black. My 1996 disco is white, my 2004 d2 is Vienna Green which is a light metallic sage with the gorgeous Aspen greens interior, and this lr3 is Java black, which is my fav black due to warm undertone.

IMO you had a typo that I fixed here: " 'smart' man's route" ;)

Thanks, appreciate it :beer:

I think my favorite must be green due to past history. I wish I could remember all the fancy names for the colors, but lemme try. My 91 Classic was 'hunter' green...maybe? That was my fave. A champagne gold '95 RRLWB, 1 baltic blue P38 and one something or other green P38 (it wasn't as lame as forest green was it?), and 2 grey and a green LR3 and 4 - I don't know what either one of the grays is called. Hell, can't remember my current one, any help?

I like the white, but it HAS to have black trim like the discos or it's just too blank looking for me.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Finally got my Compomotives in and installed Ridge Grappler 285/60/18s. I'm totally digging them at least from driving the short ride home. They are quieter and smoother than the Coopers I had
but of course those were worn. No rub on the horns. It's definitely tighter than the Coopers and the picture almost looks like it's touching, but if it is, I can't feel it or hear it. I had trouble getting a camera up there but hopefully you can see the difference. It's a hair. The spare had to be completely aired down and the heat shield removed. Even then it took a bit of work to shimmy it up in the space. Still have to decide on a Compressor for that and get center caps too. Can't wait to take it off the pavement.

hornTread01.jpg

hornTread.jpg

Bef.jpg

Aft.jpg

front.jpg

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I'm at it, does anyone have a link to the center caps that fit the Copomotives? I don't remember seeing one?

Never mind, found the thread.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I bough 4 like these, they snapped very securely on the Compos: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover...386834?hash=item281b84e812:g:ZCoAAOSw-KFXdu-C - 4+ years later I still have them and they look as good as new.

The ones that came with my car (with black rims) were very loose on the Compos but a perfect fit for the OEM wheels, hwever others said they had no problems fitting theirs on either wheel.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Umberto. In the interest of keeping this up to date, I can confirm they do pop right in as expected.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi