Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Discussion in 'LR4' started by TLB, Sep 23, 2013.

1. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

It's not that Land Rover thinks the North American market is nothing but soccer moms, it's that it never offered a diesel LR4 in North America. I assume by "vehicle upgrade" you mean the SC V6 engine instead of the V8 engine, but, in this context, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Land Rover for some reason felt that the gas engines needed bigger brakes than the diesel engines, so all gas engine LR4's--no matter the model year--only had 19" wheels from the factory as the Land Rover 18" wheels don't fit over the gas LR4's brake calipers. Land Rover only offered gas engines in North America. Hence, there was never a North American LR4 that came with 19" wheels.

2. Fozzy325

Fozzy325 Well-Known Member

So with your experience would you say this wheel would fit. This is from a LR3 8JX18 EH2 off 53
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

No.

Not without either a 1.25" wheel spacer or grinding the hell out of your front brake calipers.

4. Fozzy325

Fozzy325 Well-Known Member

Ok thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. jwest

jwest Full Access Member

This is possibly my favorite post to see in years ;)

6. jwest

jwest Full Access Member

yeah 75 to 53 isn't enough. I think the compomotives work because they are machined or cast with more clearance where it's needed but also their offset is 44 and it's barely enough but only as much as needed.

You have to keep in mind when looking at parts sources that even if it's a factory item, the europe market made use of smaller wheels as well as larger because there you could order a base lr4 with lesser engine and brakes or a 5L w big brakes.

7. jwest

jwest Full Access Member

For wheels, yes, for total solution one can also put on lr4 tdi spec brakes i would assume just as I swapped in the V6 gas matched brake size.

You probably also know Ryan but the NAS market briefly got just a few lr3 in v6 form and those came with factory 17".

If it were me setting up an lr4, it would be the compomotives or brake rotor size swap to also allow 17" - and that's what I would in reality do because I have the 17" set of 5 studded for winter.

Being 1" narrower at 7"x17" though it's also a killer choice for a tall BFG km2 or similar in 255/80x17