Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenk

Reaction score
Ok, new 2012 LR4 owner here, and I've read all 84 pages of this thread. Yep.

Looks like I'm going with the 18" Compos, and 265/65/r18 tires. I'm mainly in Northern California and Nevada, and I've had 2 sets of LT Duratracs on a Wrangler that did well in snow and sand.

Right now, I'm seeing the following LT possibilities in my chosen size:

BFG K02
Cooper AT3
Cooper ST Maxx
Terra Ridge Grappler
Terra Grappler G2

Did I miss one?

I'll probably go with the K02.

Is it recommended to get new lug nuts? I can figure out the center caps and TPMS.

Thanks to everyone for providing such a valuable resource. I really appreciate the time and effort to share the detailed info.

I'm a new 2010 LR4 owner and got the TuffAnts with KO2s, 265/65/18 (they rub lightly only when in full lock to the right in reverse, weird specificity).They are several hundred dollars cheaper than Compomotives and also do not require spacers unlike the LR3 or Lucky 8 steel wheels. Plus, I like the look of them.

New wheels should come packaged with new lug nuts. I did not install TPMS on the new wheels, but turned off TPMS using the GAP Tool so no tire pressure warning messages.

https://www.tuffantusa.com/wheels

12FA9831-CB47-4B96-A758-DD9C03275484.jpeg

Last edited:

rpearce1475

Reaction score
Bumping this thread for a newer question. I just purchased a 2014 LR4, super excited about it. I'm coming out of a Toyota 4Runner that was very capable off road but a total dog on road. This vehicle will be my daily driver, mostly highway miles with most of the offroading being Southern California forest service roads. No trails more advanced than something like Berdoo Canyon in Joshua Tree or Burns Canyon up to Big Bear if any of you know those trails/roads. I've already purchased a set of 18'' wheels (Dakar Zeroes) and am searching for a set of tires that will do great on the highway in all weather conditions while being ''good enough'' for my occasional off pavement foray. I've read this entire thread and others on other sites and will be going with the 265/60r18 size for a number of reasons. Planning to stick with XL rating tires as I don't want to lose all the peppiness and fuel mileage I gained with this car from the 4Runner and I feel E rating is excessive for the rare off roading I'll do. Much research has identified a few contenders but top three are, in no real order:
1) Nitto Terra Grappler G2 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating
2) Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating
3) Hankook Dynapro AT2 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating

Can anyone chime in on these three tires, why you'd go with one over the other? Thanks in advance.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't go through all the expense of getting 18" wheels only to stick with XL tires at the stock overall diameter. All you're gaining by doing that is a half-inch of sidewall.

But I guess you have your reasons.

rpearce1475

Reaction score
That size is a touch bigger than stock but the extra side wall is worth while in my mind. In 2 yrs or so this vehicle will be converted to weekend car with heavier off road use and I'll likely go up to 265/65r18 in E load at that time, so figured I'd go ahead and get the wheels as I like the look much more over the stocks. For now looking to keep the tire choice a bit more tame in line with my current expected use.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That size is a touch bigger than stock but the extra side wall is worth while in my mind. In 2 yrs or so this vehicle will be converted to weekend car with heavier off road use and I'll likely go up to 265/65r18 in E load at that time, so figured I'd go ahead and get the wheels as I like the look much more over the stocks. For now looking to keep the tire choice a bit more tame in line with my current expected use.

So let me say a few things for you to consider because we don't know your entire picture here. First, how many miles do you expect to roll before making it's change to more off-road/weekend uses and why would that time period then see tracks more rugged than now? I'm not asking how often, but if the use 2 yrs from now will be actually any more rugged?

Also, what makes you think the E load range tire will be that much different in the peppiness from a same size XL? I mean it's heavier by a bit but my guess is the felt difference after a few days driving wouldn't actually be something you'd cry about either. The lr4 is already a lot heavier than the 4runner so in a sense, a slightly heavier tire is a smaller % difference especially when also combining the higher output engine in the lr4. You can feel it, but it's also sort of irrelevant in the overall feel.

The reason I asked about mileage for next two yrs is if it's not much, then why partially use a tire that ought to last far longer? No savings occurs, in fact it's probably more cost effective to just get a tire like the BFG AT Ko2 that can last 60-70-80,000 miles, easily on a 5 tire rotation. I got 75k and still had 1/4" tread on a ko1 set LOL

One way to seriously increase wear life for lr4 tires is to do a "flip" every 25-30k or so. The inside edge wears a lot more due to the suspension design, not unlike a strong camber car in the rear.

Next, there are various load ranges, C D E. The factory rating is fine for an unmolested lr4 with not much added weight but as you add weight, you should do some homework on the load rating and YOUR use case. Mine or someone else on here is somewhat irrelevant because mine weighs more and I use it differently than you will.

If anything though, I would suggest going to the 31.5" size of 265/65-18 for far more reasons than there are against it. There is almost no reason not to except what you mentioned and it's still not going to handle like a sports car but even with an E load 265/65-18 BFG AT KO2, it will still handle better than the 4 Runner did due to the suspension design. The air makes for quite the nice magic carpet ride IMO.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Nitto Terra Grappler G2 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating
2) Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating
3) Hankook Dynapro AT2 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating

Can anyone chime in on these three tires, why you'd go with one over the other?

None of those LOL ;) I did use the Nitto briefly. To be honest, all those are 'meh' for the use you describe. I used to think I needed SO much tire, tough, aggressive, etc. Then a few yrs ago I decided to see how little I could use to do how much.

I chose the Michelin MS2 (there are others similar) which is basically an all-around tire perfect for long road trips that also see days and days of extended forest road use. I know they won't do as well in actual mud but I tried them first on dry days here in the PNW on ORV park routes which are more likely to take out a low profile tire than any "overlanding" routes you usually see photos of. I did get E load due to my lr3 weight and lowered psi to 30's and 20's for these test runs.

Another time was a rainy wet day but mud is not the same as just wet. These do perfectly fine with everything wet due to the tread but deep mud is different of course.

I've now done trips WA-NC-Ontario-BC-WA and has snow, gravel roads, etc, even slo-mo rock crawling and this unassuming 'highway' tire has been fine, which is kinda funny when I have a stack of BFG KM2 to choose from as well.

Back to your post though, the km2 is almost 100 lbs wheel and tire whereas the Michelin is closer to 80. The tires are 14 lbs different and the factory wheels are also about 5 lbs different from the flat 10 spoke to the 'flutted' ten spoke. The KM2 is an almost 34" 285/70-18 and the Michelin a true 32" 275/65-18.

(The tire was LTX MS2 but is now the Defender version)

The michelin does feel sportier than the big km2 which is the weight and the size.

FYI, a tire like the Michelin Defender has load types in the 116 range which is a nice compromise.

rpearce1475

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! To answer above questions, I'll be driving the LR4 for 20Kish per year for the first 2 years, then significantly less after. The reason I'll be doing more rugged stuff is I'm currently working a very busy job in Southern California without much free time for exploration, whereas in 2 years I (should be) in Colorado with much more free time (finishing medical residency now). In regards to the weight, I'm trying to minimize large changes in unsprung/rotational weight as this has made a big difference in my prior rigs.

After discussing this with a few friends in my area who also off road, I've decided to eliminate the Nitto due to very mixed reviews on the rubber wear/life in our area. A large reason for considering the Falken is they use more plys than standard so the XL is actually a 6 ply tire, same as C range LT. That's currently the frontrunner though I'm considering the Cooper AT3 in E range due to the above comments. Not interested in KO2s, ran those in the past and had not so great personal results.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4E17136D-7543-4C40-AD49-6298EF9D976C.jpeg
A large reason for considering the Falken is they use more plys than standard so the XL is actually a 6 ply tire, same as C range LT. That's currently the frontrunner though I'm considering the Cooper AT3 in E range due to the above comments.

Those AT tires are overkill as well then based on the 40k and terrain for a while. I'd go to something more like the Michelin defender absolutely over those other ones. Quieter, better fuel mpg, better in rain, possibly lighter?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is perhaps a tangential question, but has anyone had any luck using the factory clip-in hitch with 265/65/18 ?

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is perhaps a tangential question, but has anyone had any luck using the factory clip-in hitch with 265/65/18 ?

I have. Had to take it off to get the spare on but easy enough and it snapped back in without issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72