Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently Finlayforprez and I purchased PD1880 compomotive wheels. Next step will be putting the right tires on those rims.
I though about starting a tread where we could find the info regarding tires people use on 18" LR4/LR3 and experience they had in different climate, terrain.
I know we can find almost all the info online but it would be good to know how LR4/ LR3 behave with those tires in different conditions.

It would be great If we could organize all the info we would like to see in the post ex

1.detailed tire info including PSI
2. any suspension mods to accommodate new tires Y/N
3. Any mods ( not suspension related) in order to accommodate a new tire size
4. Spare tire fitment
5. Performance of the tire in different environment
A. off road
- gravel, sand, heavy rocks, lose rocks, etc.
- dry vs. wet terrain
- problems with the tire on trails
B. highway performance
- dry vs. wet traction ( breaking, hydroplaning ???)
- noise
- durability, wear

What do you think? Do we need thread like this?
Maybe I am just to excited that I am getting new wheels.
All for this!
Particularly interested in pics and descriptions of what trimming and grinding was done to accommodate larger size rubber. It would be great to see where, what, and how much to cut!

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest Out of curiosity what did your rig weigh in at last when it was fully loaded? I'm going to gear mine up to the brim and take it to the weigh station in a week so I am fully aware of where I sit for my next sprint to the mountains. thanks in advance

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest Out of curiosity what did your rig weigh in at last when it was fully loaded? I'm going to gear mine up to the brim and take it to the weigh station in a week so I am fully aware of where I sit for my next sprint to the mountains. thanks in advance

I really don't know other than the one time I have the CAT scale paper which said 8220.

Camp Craig

Reaction score
Hey All,

New to the forum and wanted to share the results of my wheel and tire upgrade. I read nearly every page of this thread before deciding which route to go. There is obviously a lot of great feedback and opinions to sift through, so thank you to everyone who has contributed. I figured sharing my results might help others with their decision making process.
  • 2016 LR4
  • Compomotive PD1881 on KO2 265/65/18's
  • There is no rubbing on the frame horn (see pic below) nor on the wiring harness at full lock but it's really close on the frame horn
  • Each tire, except the spare, has a TPMS sensor. I didn't want the spare setting off the warning and will carry a compressor in the car
  • PSI is set to 46 front and 50 rear. The ride is not harsh at all and road noise on the highway is no worse than the stock wheel / tire combo. In fact, I prefer the ride of these KO2s
  • I also aired down the spare and it fits just fine without removing the heat shield and there are no clearance issue with the hitch
  • I used my stock lug nuts because they were already powder coated satin black
  • I have some black center caps on order from ebay
While I was at it, I also replaced the stock side steps with Proud Rhino rock sliders. Install was pretty simple and the only requirement was to trim some plastic.

I installed the Prospeed roof rack, rack floors and ladder a couple of years ago. The rack was super simple to install but the ladder required some unexpected drilling and elbow grease to get into place. I would do both again.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and big thanks to Erik over at Lucky 8 for the great customer service as always.

Craig

20200308_183014.jpg

20200301_132955.jpg
20200229_123930.jpg

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great Craig.

Surprised you don’t have any rubbing of frame horns at full lock as I did (though my install was with the LR3 wheels and spacers).

Camp Craig

Reaction score
Looks great Craig.

Surprised you don’t have any rubbing of frame horns at full lock as I did (though my install was with the LR3 wheels and spacers).

Thanks! At full lock, yea, there is not much room as you can see by the 3rd pic. Definitely cutting it close.

mrezo

Reaction score
Running 275/65r18

Needed to cut the frame horns as I experienced significant rubbing at full lock.

Got the frame horns cut flush with the wheel well. Excuse the dirt in the photos.

At full lock:
60d738d6343b9c61117d923611c33b05.jpg

c2acd93bc130f052045b34da1b87aed9.jpg

53abdc66e744fbfa85c98510585f67ad.jpg

8ba71392b622f447af8a8822339e6126.jpg

67f084493e7356b2deeff8ff4b4c658f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member