Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The offset is one little problem. The real one is having enough room for the brake calipers to fit.
Compomotives are engineered/ designed to fit such a caliper...
I'm using LR3 rims with spacers and still had to lightly grind the calipers.

Yea, I know that is the other issue. I was trying to work down to that by finding parameters that would narrow the wheel field down.

I am starting to think I should just run a set of 20's even though not many people do that. I can get 20" range rover wheels for relatively cheap and even if I end up tearing one up its $150 to replace it vs the Compo's which are extremely expensive and a large portion of the cost is shipping ($470).

swkingston

Reaction score
What tires are XL/LT rated in 265/65 18, or close size, other than BFG?

Seems like the all these tire options are supposed to open up with 18in wheels, but few come in LT. All the "lists" out there with options are based on size not rating.

The BFGs are it as far as I know in an LT265/65R18/E. The rest are SL's not even XL. You can grab 2 more if you go to LT285/60R18/E (General and Nitto). The other options in Load Range E are in sizes that need lifts and mods.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to start a thread soon, or maybe have someone administer a google spreadsheet thats public, that records some info about tires.

1. True Size:
tires, even in the same size, 265/65/R18 can be different heights and widths in reality. My GY wrangler silent armors seem a bit smaller than some other brands/makes just from the reports of rubbing. Know this could help people understand what they might run into (literally) with a tire.

2. Load rating
Mine are 112 load, or 2484 pounds. Plenty for even max towing. But I did buy SL tires. Load range and service description are different things (even though LT, E tires tend to support more load)

3. Weight and Service rating
It might have been smarter for me to buy LT or E tires just for strength, but they also weigh more and can have deeper tread which exhibits higher rolling resistance, rolling mass. So its a trade off. Might be nice to have people weigh tires and also report failures and types of issues (road noise, wear, etc) I know tire rack and plenty of sites also have info to research, but keeping our data set specific to LR3/4 is useful.

Anyway, I am still happy with my silent armors. I have 5k+ miles on them and they haven't gotten any louder yet. I will be towing my big ass boat a lot this summer and tackling some big boat ramps, so we will see how that goes. You can read all sorts of horror stories about SL tires are weak and E tires are better, blah blah, but I almost never see hard evidence. I would have choose the heavy version if I was going on safari or something, but even when im towing on ****** Iowa roads I doubt I am on the edge of failure.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One topic that I don't see being brought up(maybe someone has)with all this talk about tire sizes is Vehicle Specs.

I'm curious, do these larger tires affect warranty, ABS performance?

What is the acceptable % increase / decrease delta from standard spec as far as diameter goes?

I found this cool calculator, however I'm not sure how to interpret based on lack of knowledge. The BFG's 265 65 18 is roughly 5.06% greater than the stock 255 55 19. I've heard 3% is acceptable. Should we be worried?

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws18=1&tiresize=255+55+19&minwidth=&maxwidth=&minratio=&maxratio=&minwheel=&maxwheel=&maxdelta=2

Anyone? Probably should have asked this question before plunking down $4K for a new set up. :stupid:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One topic that I don't see being brought up(maybe someone has)with all this talk about tire sizes is Vehicle Specs.

I'm curious, do these larger tires affect warranty, ABS performance?

What is the acceptable % increase / decrease delta from standard spec as far as diameter goes?

I found this cool calculator, however I'm not sure how to interpret based on lack of knowledge. The BFG's 265 65 18 is roughly 5.06% greater than the stock 255 55 19. I've heard 3% is acceptable. Should we be worried?

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws18=1&tiresize=255+55+19&minwidth=&maxwidth=&minratio=&maxratio=&minwheel=&maxwheel=&maxdelta=2

Anyone? Probably should have asked this question before plunking down $4K for a new set up. :stupid:
In regards to affecting the warranty, I think it depends on your dealership. Technically, it absolutely can if they want to be sticklers. I don't think many of us have had any problems, but I am curious about the ABS performance issues. I think once you start modifying these things we have pretty much gone past the point of worrying. Technically any modification/accessory not OEM can potentially void a warranty. Just thinking about it all scares me. I kept my stock 19" black OEM wheels just in case.

SFLR4

Reaction score
That confirms what I thought...
Anyone running a 285 tire with spacers/LR3 wheel setup? With or without Jrods? Thought they might be too wide and I haven't been able to test fit yet.

The BFGs are it as far as I know in an LT265/65R18/E. The rest are SL's not even XL. You can grab 2 more if you go to LT285/60R18/E (General and Nitto). The other options in Load Range E are in sizes that need lifts and mods.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was happy to see that my dealer doesn't care about the larger tires or the spacers.
Either way they collect money from Land Rover ;)
My 265 are rubbing at full lock. I would think that 285s do as well...

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 285/60 with 18" Compomotives (44 offset) and they also rub at full lock. Strangely, it seems to happen primarily in reverse only. Very rarely do I get rub at full lock in drive.

dcorn

Reaction score
I received new compomotives a month ago; marked as PD 1881 on the invoice. I asked Barry this same question, and here was his reply:

"The PD1880 was the original rim made up until 2012... The tooling was updated to give more internal clearance in 2013 so became the PD1881. All other aspects of the rim are the same..."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM