Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for adding to the thread.

Looking to get the compo 18s from justin.

Looking for the largest tire size for most sidewall but it possible I'll need to drive in access mode, being able to make turns. I'll be parking at a train station garage soon, access height there is a bit over 7 ft. Running with roof rack and rhino rods. Possibly need to remove the rods, get the gap tool. Current height with rods and rack is 6-7+/- at normal height. I don't want to make any mods to wheel well and after talking with Umberto, not afraid of a little rub that will fade over time.

Ideal setup, remove rods, keep roof rack, most aggressive tire size, buy gap tool and not add much more height and be able to on occasion drive in access mode and make turns.

Need all the guidance you all can offer.

Umberto, I think you talked me into the 285/60R18 which I think you are running.

Thanks everyone!

kalR

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for adding to the thread.

Looking to get the compo 18s from justin.

Looking for the largest tire size for most sidewall but it possible I'll need to drive in access mode, being able to make turns. I'll be parking at a train station garage soon, access height there is a bit over 7 ft. Running with roof rack and rhino rods. Possibly need to remove the rods, get the gap tool. Current height with rods and rack is 6-7+/- at normal height. I don't want to make any mods to wheel well and after talking with Umberto, not afraid of a little rub that will fade over time.

Ideal setup, remove rods, keep roof rack, most aggressive tire size, buy gap tool and not add much more height and be able to on occasion drive in access mode and make turns.

Need all the guidance you all can offer.

Umberto, I think you talked me into the 285/60R18 which I think you are running.

Thanks everyone!

When I ordered the Compos, this is the guidance I received in terms of various tire choices for these wheels. Not sure if this will be useful to you or not.

"in 255/60R18 (= 30" = same as the std 255/55R19):
General Grabber AT2,
Continental CrossContact AT,
Maxxis AT-771,
Pirelli ATR.
This is the same size as the std D4 tyre (but NOT the Range Rover Sport!), so in theory a customer could order 4 and still keep their original spare. It's not a particularly common size though (it may be in the UK).

in 265/60R18 ( = 30.5"):
Bridgestone LT D697 - Light Truck construction, so tougher sidewalls, but slightly more noise,
Mickey Thompson STZ - high load-rating, so still strong, but quieter than the Bridgestone,
Cooper AT3 - very similar to the Mickeys, maybe not quite as strong and usually cheaper,
Goodyear Silent Armor - quiet tyre, long lasting,
Pirelli ATR - those that like Pirellis ONLY like Pirellis!
I prefer this size because it's a fairly common size, give a useful bit of lift and fits without any issues.

in 265/65R18 ( = 31.56"):
Cooper AT3,
General Grabber AT,
BFG AT LT - Light Truck construction, but reports are that the D3/D4/RRS will drive poorly on these, and they won't last.
This is a large diameter tyre, so won't fit in the spare wheel well unless deflated, you'll have trouble attaching the tow-hitch and will rub on full articulation at the front of the rear wheel wells. Not a common size, so spares are an issue.

in 285/60R18 ( = 31.47"):
Cooper Zeon LTZ - very strong, a little noisy, but the best AT (All Terrain) tyre you can get. Good in sand, mud, rocks, tarmac, wet, snow.
Nitto AT - favourite in the USA - cheap, but pretty good value,
General Grabber AT2 - same as Nitto, but a stronger tyre
This is not only a large diameter, but large width tyre as well, so all the issues of the above size, plus it will rub on full lock (curiously only on full right-hand lock and when reversing). It's a pretty common size however, so easy to get spares.

in 275/65R18 ( = 32.1"):
Maxxis Bighorn MT (Mud Terrain) - best mud + rock tyre you can get for these cars - what I use for competition work
Cooper STT MT - popular in USA, good all-rounder but not as strong as the Maxxis,
Goodyear MTR - ditto.
All of these are Light Truck Mud tyres, so very strong, very noisy and the car will drive like a truck. It's a very big tyre, so a bit of work to make it fit and you'll still have all the issues of the above size. For the die-hards!"

Reaction score
Looking for rims for 2012 LR4 with in 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon

When I ordered the Compos, this is the guidance I received in terms of various tire choices for these wheels. Not sure if this will be useful to you or not.

"in 255/60R18 (= 30" = same as the std 255/55R19):
General Grabber AT2,
Continental CrossContact AT,
Maxxis AT-771,
Pirelli ATR.
This is the same size as the std D4 tyre (but NOT the Range Rover Sport!), so in theory a customer could order 4 and still keep their original spare. It's not a particularly common size though (it may be in the UK).

in 265/60R18 ( = 30.5"):
Bridgestone LT D697 - Light Truck construction, so tougher sidewalls, but slightly more noise,
Mickey Thompson STZ - high load-rating, so still strong, but quieter than the Bridgestone,
Cooper AT3 - very similar to the Mickeys, maybe not quite as strong and usually cheaper,
Goodyear Silent Armor - quiet tyre, long lasting,
Pirelli ATR - those that like Pirellis ONLY like Pirellis!
I prefer this size because it's a fairly common size, give a useful bit of lift and fits without any issues.

in 265/65R18 ( = 31.56"):
Cooper AT3,
General Grabber AT,
BFG AT LT - Light Truck construction, but reports are that the D3/D4/RRS will drive poorly on these, and they won't last.
This is a large diameter tyre, so won't fit in the spare wheel well unless deflated, you'll have trouble attaching the tow-hitch and will rub on full articulation at the front of the rear wheel wells. Not a common size, so spares are an issue.

in 285/60R18 ( = 31.47"):
Cooper Zeon LTZ - very strong, a little noisy, but the best AT (All Terrain) tyre you can get. Good in sand, mud, rocks, tarmac, wet, snow.
Nitto AT - favourite in the USA - cheap, but pretty good value,
General Grabber AT2 - same as Nitto, but a stronger tyre
This is not only a large diameter, but large width tyre as well, so all the issues of the above size, plus it will rub on full lock (curiously only on full right-hand lock and when reversing). It's a pretty common size however, so easy to get spares.

in 275/65R18 ( = 32.1"):
Maxxis Bighorn MT (Mud Terrain) - best mud + rock tyre you can get for these cars - what I use for competition work
Cooper STT MT - popular in USA, good all-rounder but not as strong as the Maxxis,
Goodyear MTR - ditto.
All of these are Light Truck Mud tyres, so very strong, very noisy and the car will drive like a truck. It's a very big tyre, so a bit of work to make it fit and you'll still have all the issues of the above size. For the die-hards!"

FYI, there are absolutely no mods required with 285/60/18s, you'll just experience very mild rubbing and possible wear of a couple of areas of the wheel well liner only under full compression or steering lock, that will quickly fade as the tread wears out just a bit. As a matter of fact, the overall circumference and diameter of a 285/60/18 is fractionally smaller than a 265/65/18, so a 285/60/18 will actually be an easier fit - although still partially deflated - in the spare wheel well under the car than a 265/65.

The one "disadvantage" of the Grabber AT2 in that size is that it's an "E" tire, so you will trade a virtually indestructible sidewall and LT load capabilities off road for a very heavy tire that's likely to run noisy and stiff / uncomfortable on the road, as all E-rated tires normally do. A bit too much of a compromise for my needs, but from an off-roading perspective that tire must be right up there with the best of the best ATs (and it's snowflake rated and studdable for severe winter use to boot.)

Hi all,
I am looking for a piece of advice...read many posts already, but still somewhat confused; I am looking to replace my stock 2012 LR4 19 wheels/tires with in 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon tires and currently looking for rims that would make it possible. Found compomotives from the UK, any other recommendations? Would a 18x8 rims from 2004 LR work (I found some refurbished OEM that I liked and they were reasonable)? Lastly, what kind of mods am I looking at to make it all fit with no rubbing/other issues? Did any of you actually have this size tire/wheel installed on an LR4?
All tips much appreciated!
Thank you,

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the one and only 18" wheel that will positively fit the LR4 as a straight bolt-on, without any modifications required is still the Compomotive PD1880/PD1881, that's it. 18" wheels from older Disco I or IIs (2004 or earlier) won't fit because the wheel hub is sized different than LR3/4/RRS. 18" OEM wheels off a LR3 or Range Rover Sport will fit the LR4 only with some sizeable spacers. And yes, lot of owners run 285/60R18 tires over those Compos with no modifications required and only negligible rubbing under extreme articulation or full steering lock. No worries there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for advice!

Hey there Umberto,
Thanks for the tips, I am afraid I will have to cough up the £1200 if I want those size tires/rims, ha!
Do you think that any shop could install them or should I head to the dealer? Although the dealer may bring up warranty issues...not sure.
Did you hear of any TPMS issues with the Compos /285/60/18 set up?

I've read that another option for a decent off road tire that did match the stock 19 wheels was the Cooper Zeon 255/55/19 but that offers less side wall protection and doesn't offer the same aggressive look due to smaller width/side wall.

What is your opinion /experience with tire upgrades for your LR4? I am assuming you are not on the stock Contis, I think they are somewhat of a disgrace to the LR line of vehicles.
Anyway, thanks for your input, this is the first Landy I have ever owned, although I have driven my brother's LR3 and many Defenders, as well as some Mitsus/Toyotas over the years.
Bartek

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bartek,

I currently plan on ordering the KO2's in 285/60/R18.

I have a really great dealership but plan on using an Indy shop to do my mods: they are cheaper and seem more accustomed (not-to-mention enthusiastic) to do off-road mods (and I have a lot of work to do).

All my stuff won't be in until May-ish, but discussions and initial measurements lead me to believe that this size tire, which is both wider and larger (diameter) than the stock, will cause a few surmountable issues.

First, the tire is taller so we will need to get a set of rods as well as recalibrate the height sensors to level the truck properly.
Second, these wide tires will rub on the plastic splash guards/wheel wells. Thus, some minor wiring of the plastic to the body of the truck is necessary to give us a bit more room in the wheel wells.
Third, the bigger tire will probably have trouble in the spare-tire well so we will most-likely need to cut the plastic heat shield/splash guard and then wrap the exhaust at those points (to protect the tire from getting scorched). Positioning the bigger tire in there may be a bit tricky, but should be do-able.
Finally...and this is something relatively unrelated to driving the truck but a problem for those with a wheel carrier...I have learned from Finlayforpres that I will need to fabricate an entirely new spare tire mount on my Kaymar rear bumper since the oversize tire needs more space (and the factory mount is not well positioned anyway).

I hope to let everyone know how the mods go and I will post pictures after the latest round of mods are complete. She should look pretty beastly after all the work...

If anyone has experience with the 285/60/R18 on the LR4--let us know!

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 265/65r18 Goodyear duratracks and love them. I also solve the spare tire problem. uploadfromtaptalk1426997125638.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426997222719.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426997125638.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426997222719.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Joe and thanks for sharing your research/conclusions.
Are you planning on getting the Compomotive 18 rims for those KO2s 285/60/18s? Seems like the only, or best , option, based on several other communication exchanges and responses I got.
Thx,
Bartek

Reaction score
Does anyone know a reliable indy shop in Chicago area that would install the Compomotive rims and new tires AND/OR take care of any necessary adjustments/mods if in fact needed?
Although I hope they are not really needed, as a few members clearly indicated earlier.
Thanks,
Bartek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM