Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gghaggis

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a consistent answer as to whether 265/85R18's rub or not. Some users report no rubbing whatsoever, but there are others that report minimal rubbing. Perhaps it is slight variations in vehicles and tires?

They will rub - but only under fairly extreme conditions off-road. Many people don't take their vehicles into that kind of environment, so don't experience it. Hit a sand dune at speed and you will most certainly feel it.

Cheers,

Gordon

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you tow, the clearance behind the spare for the hitch receiver is a factor. Obviously many are making the 265/65's and 285/60's fit deflated, but here's how close mine is with a 1" smaller 265/60.

Yep. My after market hitch receiver protrudes another 1" or so into that spare tire space beyond what you show here. If I was able to use the stock receiver I would but my hitch weight runs at about 700 lbs and I use a WD hitch - both of which LR doesn't like with their stock receiver. (There are other threads on this silliness.)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. After all of this discussion and seeing bullmrkt's (I hope we see a bull market soon!) I am settled back on the 265/60s. I am not sure that the 0.5" of additional lift with a 31.5" tire is all that important to me. What is important is that I get an LT tire. I can now do that with the 265/60 KO2s. I don't remember that being an option when I got my first set of tires 18 months ago. If I weren't able to get 265/60 LT's I would live with the occasional rubbing. But with these KO2s I don't need to. Thanks, bullmrkt, for sharing your experience with the KO2s.

bullmrkt

Reaction score
OK. After all of this discussion and seeing bullmrkt's (I hope we see a bull market soon!) I am settled back on the 265/60s. I am not sure that the 0.5" of additional lift with a 31.5" tire is all that important to me. What is important is that I get an LT tire. I can now do that with the 265/60 KO2s. I don't remember that being an option when I got my first set of tires 18 months ago. If I weren't able to get 265/60 LT's I would live with the occasional rubbing. But with these KO2s I don't need to. Thanks, bullmrkt, for sharing your experience with the KO2s.

No problem. That's the same conclusion I came to–the various compromises and headaches weren't worth a 0.5" lift to me.

KY Rover

Reaction score
What is the difference in offset between 10 spoke 18" LR3 wheels with a 30mm spacer vs the 1880/1881 Compomotives? After reading through the thread again, I can't see where this question has been specifically answered.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Compomotive PD1880/81 are ET44. Factory wheels, including the 18s before spacers are added, are ET53. So, the difference in offset is 21mm between the Compos and the LR3 factory 18s with spacers required to clear the front calipers. Both Compos and LR 18" wheels are 18x8 of course.

bullmrkt

Reaction score
The Compomotive PD1880/81 are ET44. Factory wheels, including the 18s before spacers are added, are ET53. So, the difference in offset is 21mm between the Compos and the LR3 factory 18s with spacers required to clear the front calipers. Both Compos and LR 18" wheels are 18x8 of course.

In other words, the Compo's fit better. Because of the wider offset of the LR3 18/spacer combo, people are having rubbing issues where others with compo's don't using the same tire.

Also, I believe you need to shave down the calipers a bit with the LR3/spacer combo.

KY Rover

Reaction score

In other words, the Compo's fit better. Because of the wider offset of the LR3 18/spacer combo, people are having rubbing issues where others with compo's don't using the same tire.

Also, I believe you need to shave down the calipers a bit with the LR3/spacer combo.

Thanks. That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Now, in regards to a 265/65R18 spare, I understand that you have to deflate it and remove the heat shield to make it fit in the factory space. There has been some discussion about how that might get in the way of the tow hitch insert. I can see why this would be a concern, because it already looks pretty close on mine with only a factory 255/55R19 spare in there. Is there anyone with a 265/65R18 spare under the back that still uses their hitch and tows?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/65/18 compo spare, heatshield off, slightly deflated, tow receiver is not an issue. It's tight against the back of the receiver but the hitch goes in fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM