First ever off-roading experience in LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I wanted to share my first ever off-roading experience, at an OHV Park in Bridgeport Texas, about an hour away from where I live. I took my family there for our first ever real off roading extravaganza. The park has trails rated from 1-5 diamond (4 being are-you-crazy and 5 being I-am-lunatic/suicidal hard).

We started with some level-1 trails which were no picnic (many SUVs would probably have a hard time there), and then mostly on level-2. Lots of ups and downs and going through tire deep mud and such. Initially I was afraid that I might get stuck in the mud or tip over my brand spanking new LR4. But LR4 is an extemely capable vehicle. It went through mud, climbed up really steep hills, came down really-really steep hills and we as passengers were in awe as to what this thing is capable of.

In the end I decided to climb up a hill (level-3) on a path of rocks/boulders. My wife asked me not to do it. My friend was also urging me to skip it. I was even not sure and had doubts (not about the LR4 - but about my own capabilities). But my kids were urging me to do it. I guess I mustered some courage and put the LR4 in rock-crawl mode and then decided to give it a go. It went up without breaking a sweat. I mean it felt as easy as like driving on some grassy field. It did not even spin any tires/wheels.

LR4 is amazing - I am floored by what this thing can do.

BTW - the only other vehicles in the park were Jeep wranglers and other trucks modified for off-roading. Jeeps were sticking mostly to the level-2/leve-3 trails and some monster trucks were trying the level-4. Level-5 was as I said only for suicidal folks :) And I did not see anyone attempting those trails.

What a great experience - now that I have experienced what LR4 can do, I am even happier with my decision to purchase one. We will definitely go back occasionally for some off-roading fun.

Happy driving !

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! Would love to see some pictures.

I brought my camera with me, but did not take any pictures (unfortunately). Apparently I was too consumed by the off-roading experience.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi jamgolf,

Thanks for the post. Sounds like you had a great time off roading. I still have not had my LR4 off roading - well a couple dirt roads - but that's it :)

I am looking forward to it now!

-David

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jam,

I also live in Dallas and have been meaning to head out to Bridgeport to give it a shot and also do a night of camping on their monthly camp weekends.

I have heard from our local DFW land rover club that Bridgeport is a little conservative with their ratings and to be extremely careful. That's awesome that you had a great experience with 2s in your stock lr4. Check out barnwell near Gilmer as that's where this year's Texas rovers south central area rover rally(SCARR) is held. The trails are well maintained by the our club and the parks department.

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jam,

I also live in Dallas and have been meaning to head out to Bridgeport to give it a shot and also do a night of camping on their monthly camp weekends.

I have heard from our local DFW land rover club that Bridgeport is a little conservative with their ratings and to be extremely careful. That's awesome that you had a great experience with 2s in your stock lr4. Check out barnwell near Gilmer as that's where this year's Texas rovers south central area rover rally(SCARR) is held. The trails are well maintained by the our club and the parks department.

Ougrad

I cant compare Bridgeport to any other place w.r.t. difficulty or trail conditions. I would definitely say you should go check it out due to its proximity to DFW.

I'll have to go to Gilmer sometime to check it out too. Thanks for letting me know. I did not know about it.

Cheers!

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of fun. I had my LR4 in Moab two summers ago and it was a lot of fun to see what it would do. I didn't make it out to do any off-raoding last summer.

The modern Land Rovers are very capable in everything but large rocks and drop-offs. They will climb things other vehicles won't because of the amazing traction control.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72