First time on the trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was another warm day in Boulder, CO, so I decided to try out the LR3 on some of the trails at Lefthand Canyon that I used to do in college with my TJ. I haven't made any modifications to the truck yet, but thought I could at least have a little fun with the stock tires. I hooked up with a group of 4 trucks at the trailhead who were airing down... A heavily modified Rubicon, two lifted Broncos with 35s and a lifted and modified mid-90's Pathfinder. I asked if I could tag along with the group since I had not been up Lefthand in about 7 years and had no idea where to go. They said, "well, we have a winch, so it shouldn't be a problem...". I chuckled to myself and headed off...taking up the rear.

At the first major obsticle, a very steep and rocky hill, everyone except the Pathfinder made it up with just a little tire slip. The Pathfinder's open diffs couldn't handle it and had to give up. The driver asked me if I wanted to head back with him...but I had to give it a go. The LR3 walked up the hill like it was my driveway. I decided to continue on.

The next major obsticle was some steep, but continuous rock crawling up a very steep hill. Everyone's axles were getting crossed up and loosing traction as a result. Towards the top of the hill, both Broncos decided to call it quits, due to bottoming out numerous times and a dirt biker informing our group that this was the easy part... Needless to say, I chuckled to myself and continued to cruise up the hill with little difficulty and not even a scratch on my underside. It was now just the Jeep and the Rover.

We continued on for some time over moderately difficult obsticles and loose hill climbs and decents until we came to an obsticle I believe is called "the squeeze". It was an extremely rocky and off camber hill that had little to no margin for error. Additionally, a number of the obsticles required a very good approach angle to conquer. There were about 6 trucks at the bottom of the obsticle trying to make it up. I witnessed numerous bumpers being scraped and ripped off and a lot of grinding noises and swearing. A couple of the guys joked that there is no way a "luxury truck" like mine could make it up. I recruited two spotters and headed up. To my surprise and everyone elses, I walked up with relative ease. I dragged the front bumper just a little before the truck went into "extended mode". After that little extra lift, I made it to the top with no problem and high fives ensued.

This truck is awesome... I can't wait to see who I can show up once I get the Coopers put on. Maybe I can find a spot where the Rubicon will have to concede to the LR3...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great trail report! You had me reading every word...expecting the LR3 to fail after your opening paragraph. Good stuff.

Thanks!

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about no pics. I left the camera at home and the camera phone just doesn't capture the moment.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I love doing stuff like that. I get the end of the trail, and guys are looking at the LR3 in a whole new light, and say things like, "nice jeep!"

:)

PS: Don't forget Super Extended mode next time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635