Fitting Oversized Spare Tire Underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, phone only let's me upload 1 pic at a time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 34

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I just put my heat shield and factory good-for-nothing donut back on.

I wanted to remove the full size spare today after installing last night to make sure it would lower without a problem. Let's just say it took two guys, 25+ minutes, and way too much wiggling and prying etc to rely on this as a solution for when you actually need to get access to it. I can't imagine doing that on the side of a highway or out in the woods. I deflated the tire all the way down to 8 PSI to give it another try, and it didn't help at all. I think the BFG's are just too stiff for this. If anyone else gets these tires, it's definitely worth attempting... maybe I could have done it differently. But for now, it will stay in the nice air-conditioned trunk.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's for the motivation Brandon, sorry it didn't work out though. I will say I am still looking at the kaymar bumper w rear tire carrier.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. Hopefully you have better luck with yours. The proximity to the exhaust pipes was also making a little nervous. If and when I get a roof rack, that's where my spare will go.

Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/60/18 and i am praying it will drop easy. it is a very tight fit between the crossmember/differential and the trailer hitch.

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 29

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/60/18 and i am praying it will drop easy. it is a very tight fit between the crossmember/differential and the trailer hitch.
Yes, seems like it. Is it rubbing at all on the pipes where you removed the heat shielding?

Are you going to try to take it down in a few days?

-David

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is about an inch from the pipes at the closest. Yes, I will lover it this weekend to test. I figure 500 miles of driving is a good road test ;)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is about an inch from the pipes at the closest. Yes, I will lover it this weekend to test. I figure 500 miles of driving is a good road test ;)
Oh, that's good. I think when Brandon tried his spare tire, it was basically rubbing against the pipe - or extremely close!

My Compomotives were delivered today to my independent LR garage, so need to make a decision on tires! :) I am really torn between yours and BFGs.

-David

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, well I am biased! But, after 25K miles they still look new. I expect to get 60-80K off of them. Which is crazy for me because I was getting new tires every 12-16K miles in my BMW.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635