Fitting Oversized Spare Tire Underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a clear pic on the distance from the exhaust pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, well I am biased! But, after 25K miles they still look new. I expect to get 60-80K off of them. Which is crazy for me because I was getting new tires every 12-16K miles in my BMW.....
Wow - awesome! And I know you do some pretty serious off roading with them (I've seen the photos).

The Toyos actually have a warranty for 60K - right?

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a clear pic on the distance from the exhaust pipes.
Thank you!!! That's awesome.

Sorry if I missed it, but did you have to air down at all? You have TPMS in all five tires - right?

-David

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!! That's awesome.

Sorry if I missed it, but did you have to air down at all? You have TPMS in all five tires - right?

-David

Yes I do, but they dont work at all, wrong model.. go figure. I did air this tire down to 10psi. It is super stiff so i am not sure if it helped.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - awesome! And I know you do some pretty serious off roading with them (I've seen the photos).

The Toyos actually have a warranty for 60K - right?

-David
Just my Starbucks runs Dave ;)

From their website

In addition to our limited warranty, the Open Country A/T II comes with the following treadwear warranty:
P-metric/Metric: 65,000 miles
LT/Flotation: 50,000 miles

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my Starbucks runs Dave ;)

From their website

In addition to our limited warranty, the Open Country A/T II comes with the following treadwear warranty:
P-metric/Metric: 65,000 miles
LT/Flotation: 50,000 miles
Hahaha! :)

No, I saw you mudding with Brandon!

Starbucks - bleh! I live 3 doors down from one and they are the worst neighbors ever!

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, it's a running joke with Brandon and the FL4x4 guys. But yes, I push my truck hard. Probably too hard for my DD.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents - I am curious - in removing the heat shields from around the exhaust - I've always wondered - is their function really all that important, other than protecting the spare from melting? I didn't get the comment about having an air conditioned trunk area. Does removing it cause the cargo area to get hot inside the cabin?

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is relevant as nothing gets added to a vehicle without cost consciousness during the design. I would/will wrap the exhaust to achieve the same effect.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got out and felt the spare near the exhaust after some longer drives. The tire doesnt get anywhere near hot enough to damage the tire IMO.

I was going to get a thermal IR gauge to measure it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I was worried about removing the shield also, but at this point I can't figure out why it is needed. I am sure it does block more heat but I think with the spacing there and the air moving around, its going to be hard to mess up the spare.

Sitting idle for a long time might be a more abusive test.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635