Fitting Oversized Spare Tire Underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I could fit my 265/65R18 spare tire and rim (18") underneath the truck in place of the stock spare (non-HD package in case that matters)? It's about 31.5" inches in diameter. Any input would be greatly appreciated before I give it a try.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the heat shield between spare and exhaust, deflate the spare tire down to about 10 psi, then crank it up so that the "front end" (facing the front of the car) goes up in the well first, and the rear follows. Even though the BFG sidewall is likely to be very stiff even when almost fully deflated, you should be able to slide it up there - with pretty much zero room to spare - in those conditions. My 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ spare of nearly identical diameter used to fit on my Sport that way.

Needless to say, you will need to carry an air supply / compressor with you at all times.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS: Since it will be a real tight fit, you may want to test and make sure that the tire will release after it's cranked up there for a couple of days. You don't want to find out the wheel is jammed in the well on the day you really need that spare, in the boonies with no cell phone signal...

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help! I'll give this a shot within the next week or so. Is there anything special I need to know about removing the heat shield or it's pretty self explanatory?

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better late than never, right? Also I know a few people are interested in this topic right now...

Anyway, I just got my 265/65R18 BF Goodrich All-Terrain fitted up underneath the truck. I removed the heat shield, and cranked it up with deflating it. I'll check it in a few days to make sure it releases easily enough. If it's a pain to release, I'll deflate it some.

It is obviously heavier than the factory donut... does anyone know if I should be concerned about the added weight/stress on the cable that holds it up?

Some pics..

Attachments

• photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 48

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the extra weight putting too much stress on the winch, it's a pretty chunky steel cable after all. Are you sure it went up all the way? Maybe it's just the perspective, but in the first photo it looks like the wheel's hanging a bit too low, especially the front end (it looks lower than the exhaust from here.) The rear looks about right. You should be able to slide a hand over the tire and feel whether the upper sidewall is contacting the four bumpers in the well or if there is clearance between them. If it's up correctly, it should be flush against all four bumpers.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the extra weight putting too much stress on the winch, it's a pretty chunky steel cable after all. Are you sure it went up all the way? Maybe it's just the perspective, but in the first photo it looks like the wheel's hanging a bit too low, especially the front end (it looks lower than the exhaust from here.) The rear looks about right. You should be able to slide a hand over the tire and feel whether the upper sidewall is contacting the four bumpers in the well or if there is clearance between them. If it's up correctly, it should be flush against all four bumpers.

Thanks umberto I'll take another look at it. I was pretty certain it was all the way up. Will check shortly.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing this today. That's for the peer pressure Brandon! ;)

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So not sure if it is fitting correctly but holy hell is it tight!

I did deflate to 10psi.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member