front bearing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad to see they didn't fix this after it was such a problem with the LR3. I did both on that about 300 miles apart. So at least I know how to do it when the LR4s go bad :)

Travis

Reaction score
I am going to replace the front hub bearing assembly on my 2011 LR4 (85k miles). The dealership said the driver's side is going out, and I'm going to replace them both at the same time. Currently the vehicle does make a loud noise (almost sounds like tire noise as others have described) when driving which is one of the indications apparently. I'll be doing the work myself.

My question is which hub assembly should I buy? Atlantic British has an assembly for $105, and another assembly they "recommend" for $249 each. The AB sales person I talked to said he wouldn't recommend the cheaper version. Looking on the internet it seams like there are quite a few for sale with prices all across the board. What would others recommend as being good quality for the best price?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that bearings and hubs start going out on LR4's at around 80,000 miles? I feel like I read that somewhere, but I'm not certain.

I've got no problems with mine (I believe) at 75k miles, but I was going to be in there anyway so went ahead and ordered some new hub assemblies and am thinking of just swapping them out as preventative maintenance.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine at 107K. The drivers side wheel bearing failed, but did both hubs since I was also replacing the brakes at the same time.
I used Timken, which I think is OEM.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, ordered some Timken hubs. I ordered one off Amazon. It came in a Timken box and has all the correct stampings. There's a reviewer on Amazon that claims he received a counterfeit Timken hub, but the one I received looks nothing like the one he got and the one I have looks identical to the OEM. I believe it to be real. So, I ordered a second one off Amazon so that I'll jut do them both at the same time.

I'm planning on taking off my front rotors in the coming weeks. I've got a slight jutter when braking at high speed. Having already done my LCA bushings less than a year ago, I'm fairly certain it's not those. I'll either have by EBC rotors turned or, more likely, just replace them with OEM and Hawk pads. Anyway, so long as I'm in there, I thought I might replace the hubs.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original bearings are hanging in there, 180K-plus miles... Considering that I am running oversized (and very heavy) tires on 18" Compomotive rims, my high mileage, and that I go off-road quite regularly, I am amazed the hubs haven't fallen apart yet, but so far no issues, no noise, no play. There, I probably jinxed myself now.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Maybe I'll reconsider replacing mine at this time. I suppose it's not really that big a deal to take the rotors and calipers off if I need to sometime in the future. Just don't want the hubs to go bad at an inopportune time.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Maybe I'll reconsider replacing mine at this time. I suppose it's not really that big a deal to take the rotors and calipers off if I need to sometime in the future. Just don't want the hubs to go bad at an inopportune time.

Bearings rarely go bad suddenly, so I doubt one would catch you at an inopportune time. Just keep an ear out, feel for weird looseness when turning sharp, push the top of each wheel with your foot every now and then, etc. You should be able to schedule it for a convenient time once one starts to get a little loose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA