ftillier's maintenance history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is up to the user. When talking maintenance I just use whatever money I have plowed into it divided by the months of ownership or miles driven. With total cost of ownership I use that I paid for it minus an estimated current sale price to give a current running number. For instance I am currently using a $10k Cdn ($7.2k US) estimated sale price. That being said in my mind the LR4 was depreciated off a long time ago and owes my nothing. If something major popped up it would be the hard decision time. I ma hobby fix it over time.
im at about $46k in maintenance and $65k for the car in 2013 so $111k without gas and insurance over 164k miles

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
@ftillier I have a huge folder of invoices and I'm scared to itemize and break down costs. It's a very sophisticated truck with a lot of tedious maintenance and I love mine enough to pay to play.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should be scared. There's very little on the market that ticks all the boxes the LR4 ticks. If it wasn't so good you wouldn't have invested into making it an overlander. Part of that investment is hobby, part of it travel expenses.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should be scared. There's very little on the market that ticks all the boxes the LR4 ticks. If it wasn't so good you wouldn't have invested into making it an overlander. Part of that investment is hobby, part of it travel expenses.

Yessir. I really like the new Land Cruiser, it really compares 1:1 with the LR4 in a lot of ways. Similar power, similar size/shape, similar capabilities. But no three row, no V8 noises (I’m sure it will get better MPG) and it’s $60k. Sure, it’ll probably be more reliable long term but that’s a lot of money for a vehicle that does all the same stuff when you already own the LR4.

Blueaz

Reaction score
I think it is up to the user. When talking maintenance I just use whatever money I have plowed into it divided by the months of ownership or miles driven. With total cost of ownership I use that I paid for it minus an estimated current sale price to give a current running number. For instance I am currently using a $10k Cdn ($7.2k US) estimated sale price. That being said in my mind the LR4 was depreciated off a long time ago and owes my nothing. If something major popped up it would be the hard decision time. I ma hobby fix it over time.
I agree.

My old 2004 D2 served me well from when I bought it in April 2008 with 49,800 miles on it until I dumped it for parts in September 2020 with 182,800 miles. When you factor in everything I dumped into it (maintenance, repair, and all the extras like roof rack, bumpers, winch, skid plates, etc.) less the $3500 I sold it for, I spent $58,410 over 12.42 years or 149 months which equals $392 per month. My per-mile was 44-cents.

My LR4's stats are much worse.....currently running as follows:
$72,515 dumped into it
$1,648 cost per month
$1.34 cost per mile

Of course I'll sell it for more than zero so that hasn't been factored in yet. But after all is said & done, it will turn out to be much more expensive that the 2004 D2. I would need a stretch of many years with low mileage and just routine maintenance to tame the numbers. This thing can't go from one oil change to the next without repair costs so I'm not holding out hope!

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've spent probably $16k since July on mine plus $15k purchase price. I put on 7k miles on it so far and that amounts to $4.43 per mile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM