Gas Leak at Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the smell of gas for a few days now, and finally got a chance to look underneath. Have a pretty good drip going when running, and I am thinking it might be a crack in the pump strainer or whatever you call it. I’m only guessing on that, and will have to get the tank lowered to check it out... My next question is how much of a pain is it to get the tank off to make the repair?

375607dec098be1c7070ba673b9bc83d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a youtube video I saw recently. It actually doesn't look as bad of a job as it sounds. I'd obviously wait until your tank is low, but it seems pretty straightforward.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a youtube video I saw recently. It actually doesn't look as bad of a job as it sounds. I'd obviously wait until your tank is low, but it seems pretty straightforward.
It’s dripping pretty good when running, and I have 3/4 of a tank, might have to siphon it, if someone tosses a cigarette out at a stop light I’ll be looking for a new LR4.....

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck. If it’s a 2011, there is an open investigation into this issue by the NHTSA:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2011/LAND%2520ROVER/LR4/SUV/4WD#investigations

If you don’t feel like doing it yourself, I would contact Land Rover and see if they are offering to fix this out of warranty. They haven’t issued a recall, but its such a serious safety issue that they might be fixing them for people anyway. Heck, might be worth a try even if you’re not in the 2011 group.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a whole thread on this already. It comes out really easy. I did the swap in 4 hours in the garage working slowly on the floor. Watch a couple YouTube videos and you’ll get it.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck. If it’s a 2011, there is an open investigation into this issue by the NHTSA:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2011/LAND%2520ROVER/LR4/SUV/4WD#investigations

If you don’t feel like doing it yourself, I would contact Land Rover and see if they are offering to fix this out of warranty. They haven’t issued a recall, but its such a serious safety issue that they might be fixing them for people anyway. Heck, might be worth a try even if you’re not in the 2011 group.
Yes, it’s a 2011. I do not have a local Land Rover dealer, closest one is 90 miles away.

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the swap yourself make sure you get the o ring seal with it as well. Mine was leaking like yours was and I already had the part but did not have the o ring in yet. I decided to drop the tank and just go ahead and swap the dust cover without the new seal. well 3 months later I was dropping it for a second time.
2011 LR4

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the swap yourself make sure you get the o ring seal with it as well. Mine was leaking like yours was and I already had the part but did not have the o ring in yet. I decided to drop the tank and just go ahead and swap the dust cover without the new seal. well 3 months later I was dropping it for a second time.
2011 LR4
I’m hoping the cover comes with the new seal, it did not specify, but I plan on changing it. Most of the videos I’ve watched they say the rubber compound changed on the seals, and there is also an extra support rib on the cover.

How was the removal of the tank? Seems to be pretty straight forward from what I’m seeing.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t come with an o ring. R&R is very easy for a modern vehicle of this complexity IMO

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping the cover comes with the new seal, it did not specify, but I plan on changing it. Most of the videos I’ve watched they say the rubber compound changed on the seals, and there is also an extra support rib on the cover.

How was the removal of the tank? Seems to be pretty straight forward from what I’m seeing.

It was straight forward. The only issue I had was with the rear fuel return lines and getting them released above the axle so I could fully drop the tank. I did better on time the second time around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA