Genuine New Front Crossover Pipe Defects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

index1489

Reaction score
Just a heads up as I posted in another thread, there is a bad batch of crossover pipes going around with 2021/2022 mfg dates.
I've received both defective supercharged and non supercharged versions of these pipes that contain plastic burrs or loose chunks of plastic from molding.

I highly recommend inspecting all ports with a flashlight before installing. I've ordered from different dealers and still got defective parts. I had to exchange the front crossover on a non-supercharged Land Rover with my local dealer.
Photos attached, in one photo the pipe was cut to expose the burrs I found with my borescope.

Attachments

• img_2892_9974706127d8b2f49c6506a3aed627c9c275cb8a.jpg
    img_2892_9974706127d8b2f49c6506a3aed627c9c275cb8a.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 100
  • img_2893_7a1fa94ef6ba6ab0c994f8d443d9e90914e81435.jpg
    img_2893_7a1fa94ef6ba6ab0c994f8d443d9e90914e81435.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 101
  • img_2935_830f652814cbba5bfdf20ef6375d63c2103e39b2.jpg
    img_2935_830f652814cbba5bfdf20ef6375d63c2103e39b2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 101
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 101

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh this is just great. Hope the one I had installed April 21 wasn't one of these.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the heads up. May borescope mine before we install the new engine.

LuiSC

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I'm looking at doing this soon. Is there a diy write up or video on doing this job somewhere for the 5.0SC? Can't find anything.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is sad that LR keeps on producing defective replacement parts knowing there are issues considereing they are special and expensive vehicles that have loyal LR owners and followers of several years, decades also. Sure bet several decades ago LR's being basic simple also trouble free, let's not forget underpowerd driving a 58 LR but a hoot.

You would think LR would be selling improved replacement parts thus gaining owners confidence knowing they care, owners along with future new LR buyers also knowing LR going the extra step to produce a "reliable vehicle".
In the long run having more repeat buyers with the word out they correct issues also gaining new LR buyer purchase. This a win win for LR not happening overnight requiring time before the past and future LR owners and the general public gain their confidence back with LR.

Same BS going back with the 3.9, then the better improved 4.0 & 4.6 blocks LR did not complete the job still having issues of slipped cylinder liners. Going one step in the right direction milling the block deck and installing "T" Top liners forever fixing slipped liners the way engines should of been built making a reliable trouble free engines.

Owners installing replacement engines with the same flaw can possibly repeat the failures unless they had the brains to send the block out and machined to accept aftermarket "T" Top cylinder liners. Trust me on this imprpovement at 217 miles from factory new 4.6 shortblock install I removed then had the block machined then installed "T" Top liners (added a 4.9 stroker crank kit) making a reliable engine vs playing guessing games if and when a slipped liner may happen.

Another example the 5.0 timing chains and guides failure issues, that alone prevented a high percentage of new LR owners of plunking down their money as new LR owners.

LR owners blamed the FoMoCo machine shop division for 5.0 timing chains and guides failures when FoMoCo followed to the letter the blueprints (CAD drawings) every detail and spec every measurement along with type of materials LR engineers ordered.
FoMoCo machine division not allowed to alter their contract with LR altering specs and materials listed in their contracts.
You have an issue with failing parts or quality control, bring your complaints up with LR, FoMoCo machined engines only to LR specs along with other vehicle manufactures in Europe.

As I replied a couple years ago about failing plastic crossovers with my suggestion reply that "if I owned one" ( I like my improved trouble free 4.9 pushrod engine). I would of fabricated a jig along with having a donor 5.0 engine to work off, Tig welded crossovers front and rear out of aluminum ending those on going plastic failure issues.

How great is that to rely on plastic way out in the bush beyond any tow service, call the U.S. Army and have the LR Helicopter lifted out?

When you have a Bridgeport mill, lathe, metal cutting bandsaws, Miller 350 Synchrowave Tig welder (not the modern dummied down of fewer controls Tig welders. If you can think of an idea, design it things will happen.

Timing chains and guides failures on 5.0 engines, i'll keep my opinions and comments to myself being this being a family forum......~~=o&o>........

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover owned and run by Tata. Considering Tata's financial health this is not surprising. The whole company could be circling the toilet.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is sad that LR keeps on producing defective replacement parts knowing there are issues considereing they are special and expensive vehicles that have loyal LR owners and followers of several years, decades also. Sure bet several decades ago LR's being basic simple also trouble free, let's not forget underpowerd driving a 58 LR but a hoot.

You would think LR would be selling improved replacement parts thus gaining owners confidence knowing they care, owners along with future new LR buyers also knowing LR going the extra step to produce a "reliable vehicle".
In the long run having more repeat buyers with the word out they correct issues also gaining new LR buyer purchase. This a win win for LR not happening overnight requiring time before the past and future LR owners and the general public gain their confidence back with LR.

[]

Another example the 5.0 timing chains and guides failure issues, that alone prevented a high percentage of new LR owners of plunking down their money as new LR owners.

LR owners blamed the FoMoCo machine shop division for 5.0 timing chains and guides failures when FoMoCo followed to the letter the blueprints (CAD drawings) every detail and spec every measurement along with type of materials LR engineers ordered.
FoMoCo machine division not allowed to alter their contract with LR altering specs and materials listed in their contracts.
You have an issue with failing parts or quality control, bring your complaints up with LR, FoMoCo machined engines only to LR specs along with other vehicle manufactures in Europe.
[]

I don't love this either and, once it started making a bit of noise, ended up dumping my higher mileage 5.0 for the lowest mile 3.0SC I could find.

Unfortunately, I think the reality is that 3/4 of new LRs are leased to status-conscious buyers, they sell every car they make, and there's a year-long waiting list for new models.

Last edited:

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading this thread also knowing a person's brother working at the Ford Engine Machine Shop several years before Ford purchased LR. There never was a "Ford Engine" installed in any LR. As mentioned above a engine building machine shop working off LR's Engineering Specs the their engine design on blueprints turned into a running metal object.

I'll give Tata a plus with keeping the Royal Enfield name still alive. Several upgrade requirements to be road worthly along with tighter emission requirements.

This site below open up??? Filtering out "wanted history dreamers" vs really happened history........~~=o&o>.......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover owned and run by Tata. Considering Tata's financial health this is not surprising. The whole company could be circling the toilet.

With Tata stating they turned around their investment now owning JLR their main company investment. Funny read Ratan being "humilated by Ford".
Also the remark "Ford about bankrupt", that there was another comeback stab at Ford.

Back in 03 I replaced the manual antenna for the 95 Disco, LR dealership item with the label "made in India". It did not fit, base grommet to fender hole the grommet was smaller than the fender hole. Told it's "A OEM Land Rover Part it will fit", told "no returns on special ordered parts".

Better quality used antenna that opened and closed like new still (good find and 1/4 the price of dealership that fit from Pick-n-Pull) during a seven months looking along with collecting other spare backup parts. IAC is identical off GM vehicles around the same era up to 95 (OB1) also at 1/4 the cost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okamgba1463