Has anyone tried 275-70-18's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about another tire question but I wasn't able to find anything on this size. I checked the Johnson Rod site, and he doesn't mention this size either.

Obviously running this size would require a rod mod . . . . but I noticed the "thorgal" vid posting rig had 33's on Redbourne wheels . . . . maybe the different back-space on the aftermarket wheel helped with clearance?

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 33" tires that were used on his rig is the Nitto Mud Grappler's. They are 33" x 12.50" x 18". I believe the 12.50" translates closely to a 305 tire width. That's the main reason he had to address the offset so tire rub doesn't happen. The 275/70/18 is narrower and should fit??? Clearance will be close, depending on tire manufacturer - all sizes seem a bit different between manufacturers, regardless of stated size. Which tire are you considering?

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been considering the Mickey Thompson ATZ (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaATZRadial).

I have Mickey Thompson MTZ on my Jeep and they've worn terrifically well considering they're an aggressive mud tire.

The ATZ promises a long tread life (thick, deep tread), have multi-ply side walls, high load ratings . . .plus I have a relationship with the marketing guys at Mickey Thompson.

According to the manufacturer's specs, the ATZ 275-70-18 has an outside diameter of 33.3" and 11.00" wide. The Goodyear Duratrac 275-65-18 (which I'm also considering) claims to be 32.1" x 11.00.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go Duratrac. I wouldn't go THAT big on an LR3, especially to run an all-terrain tire full-time. I also feel that the gentleman running that LR3 with 33s and spacers and all that is asking for trouble down the road.

I know that you weren't asking for this (opinion) but I can't help myself in this instance.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go Duratrac. I wouldn't go THAT big on an LR3, especially to run an all-terrain tire full-time. I also feel that the gentleman running that LR3 with 33s and spacers and all that is asking for trouble down the road.

I know that you weren't asking for this (opinion) but I can't help myself in this instance.

Truth is, opinions matter. I'm new to the Rover world and still learning all of the tricks and "trouble" . . . . While my LR3 has enjoyed as much time in the shop as it has in my driveway (owned it now for 6 weeks, two weeks in the shop) I REALLY enjoy driving it.

Took it on a forest service road near Edwards, CO this weekend. A little scrapage on the bottom but the look the guy gave me in the full size Dodge with chains on the front tires was PRICELESS. And I still have the Wrangler HP's on it.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I've gotten a TON of those looks in my 4+ years of off-roading. People just don't expect to see it in the places I take it.

At least an upgrade in tires for you is easy...because the HPs are about as bad as it gets! I run the MT/Rs (32") part time and I'm happy with that. It's your call of course. I used to run the Coopers with no rod-mod and I could see doing that full-time. They were a good all-around tire.

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the Cooper STT 275x60x18 and no problems
Cooper-Discoverer-STT-s.jpg

th_PumpkinRun2010-10-24060.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member