HD Package or not HD Package, how to know for sure using TOPIx

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another pro tip to determine if a vehicle has the LUX package (2010-13) is to look for the front parking sensor button on the dash. Most ads have a picture of the dash so this is an easy confirmation.

Mine is not a lux package and I have the parking sensor.

I think the packages between Canada and the US are different.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just used the link jlglr4 posted to find the relevant section of the shop manual. Diagram A shows the locking differential.
upload_2021-3-9_7-45-23.png

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, resurrecting an old thread here. Did something change with Topix? I had used Topix and VinDecoderz a few year ago to identify an HD Package, but can't seem to get the data from these sources anymore. Topix will take the VIN but I don't see Vehicle Features to check for the Diff.

If this is operator error I sincerely apologize and feel free to call me lots of names!

vindecoderz will still work on 2010-2013 (at least it did a week or two ago)

Topix now requires an active subscription to see "Minor features" where the diff type is shown.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, resurrecting an old thread here. Did something change with Topix? I had used Topix and VinDecoderz a few year ago to identify an HD Package, but can't seem to get the data from these sources anymore. Topix will take the VIN but I don't see Vehicle Features to check for the Diff.

If this is operator error I sincerely apologize and feel free to call me lots of names!

To answer your question, yes. Something changed in Topix and it's worse now. Part of a general pattern at Land Rover.

If you are looking at online listings at a distance and aren't able to crawl around and look for a locking mechanism, the only thing you can probably do on a 10-13 model is either pay for topix (I think this still works for paid subscriptions) or spot the ones with a full size spare and then call the seller and ask them to pull up the 4x4 screen.

On the 14 to 16 models, you can just look at the interior photos and spot the switch for a 2-speed center transfer case.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 14 to 16 models, you can just look at the interior photos and spot the switch for a 2-speed center transfer case.

I found this to be the fastest way when I was shopping. That button will be blank on a non-HD model, and will have white lettering on an HD model.

Coffee

Reaction score
To answer your question, yes. Something changed in Topix and it's worse now. Part of a general pattern at Land Rover.

If you are looking at online listings at a distance and aren't able to crawl around and look for a locking mechanism, the only thing you can probably do on a 10-13 model is either pay for topix (I think this still works for paid subscriptions) or spot the ones with a full size spare and then call the seller and ask them to pull up the 4x4 screen.

Yes, and the Discovery 5s 2017-2020s have an extra button in the terrain response cluster of buttons. I don’t recall Land Rover’s name for it, but some manufacturers call it crawl-control. It’s like cruise control for off-roading. If there is only one button to the left of the height control (DSC on/off), that truck does not have the Capability Plus Package. If you see two buttons (DSC on/off above and crawl-control below) that truck has the Capability Plus Package.

If you have a TOPIx sub you can still check on any LR4 year that your subscription has access to. I paid for a month of it for all LR4 years while shopping. If I did it again I would have to be very serious about scanning the internet for a truck with that option. There are just so many more available out there if you don’t require the locking rear differential, that may have lower miles, lower price, nicer color w/black package, a better selection of options, or are simply closer to you. ...many, many more.

Last edited:

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, and the Discovery 5s 2017-2020s have an extra button in the terrain response cluster of buttons. I don’t recall Land Rover’s name for it, but some manufacturers call it crawl-control. It’s like cruise control for off-roading. If there is only one button to the left of the height control (DSC on/off), that truck does not have the Capability Plus Package. If you see two buttons (DSC on/off above and crawl-control below) that truck has the Capability Plus Package.

If you have a TOPIx sub you can still check on any LR4 year that your subscription has access to. I paid for a month of it for all LR4 years while shopping. If I did it again I would have to be very serious about scanning the internet for a truck with that option. There are just so many more available out there if you don’t require the locking rear differential, that may have lower miles, lower price, nicer color w/black package, a better selection of options, or are simply closer to you. ...many, many more.

Great info on the D5! This is all-terrain progress control -- I didn't realize this is the sign the car has the rear diff as well... The button is like a speedo graphic with the car driving over bumps, right?

Coffee

Reaction score
Great info on the D5! This is all-terrain progress control -- I didn't realize this is the sign the car has the rear diff as well... The button is like a speedo graphic with the car driving over bumps, right?
Well, I’m not 100% certain. However, I looked at a ton of them and specifically scanned the pictures for differences on the center console. Whenever I saw Capability Plus Package I saw the button combo also. Now I know that doesn’t equal proof, but I believe it to be the case. I don’t know of any other reason for such a rare off-road related feature to be on Disco 5s if not for the CPP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM