HD vs non-HD package LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the others noted, low gearing gives you more control and a lot more torque. If you’re doing a lot of steep hills or reall rocky terrain, its quite important. Really reduces engine strain and increases pulling power. It’s great to have for any use case (never know when you might need it).

But, I see nothing wrong with modding a non-HD rover if you don’t really anticipate the need. There are plenty of people who have a great time overlanding and such without low range or lockers.

Still - from your initial post, looks like you might be wanting something more capable and I think it probably makes sense exchanging that car before you put a lot of money into it, although a lot of mods can be transferred over if you switch later.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much better off the LR4 is with the HD package
2016 Landmark HD pkg here. I agree w the others, and IMHO it's actually a completely 'different' beast in terms of capabilities. Sounds like you've already found yourself wishing you had it, and if you do want to take on more "difficult challenges", then give your brakes and your nerves a break and go for it. Sounds like you might be the first owner so depending on mileage and trim, the market is solid. Finding the right HD rig may take some work and patience.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my '16 LR4 last year and the HD package was the only mandatory option. Didn't care about color, interior, or other packages. It took me almost a year to find "the one". Although it won't see trails until it's paid off, it will be used after that.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still - from your initial post, looks like you might be wanting something more capable and I think it probably makes sense exchanging that car before you put a lot of money into it, although a lot of mods can be transferred over if you switch later.

Great point that lots of gear could be ported over to a “new” LR4.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have two 2013 LR4's, one with a rear locker and one without. I can't tell the difference in deep snow or soft sand...neither gets stuck.

However, I always use low gear in soft sand to maintain momentum. (All 2013's came with the 2-speed transfer case)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 speed transfer case is the big one. It seems so short sighted by Land Rover not to keep that standard for the 2014+.

Oddboy

Reaction score
I appreciate all the replies - you've all confirmed what I feared to be the case: I need the HD package. It's a damn shame I didn't focus more on that particular package when I picked up my current LR4 because that would have saved me the headache I'm dealing with now.

My current LR4 has roughly 63,000 miles on it but is in excellent condition, so I'm hoping to get top dollar for trade-in value. I did manage to find one LR4 Landmark HD package with 76,000 miles @ $36k. I wish I could find one with lower miles, but right now it's all that's available.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deep snow or soft sand

Rear diff won't really make much of a difference until you start lifting one of the rear wheels off the ground.

Now anycar that is a 2014+ needs the HD package to get the low range box, which is essential IMO to offroading.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV