HD vs non-HD package LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oddboy

Reaction score
Update: After some thoughtful replies from this community, I decided to make a move and trade-up for an LR4 that has the HD package.

Funny enough, the Landmark Edition LR4 with 76,000 miles I found was at the same dealership I purchased my first LR4 from.

I was worried it would be a financial headache - and it is - but they almost gave me top dollar for my trade-in. KBB was saying 28k, the dealer gave me 27.5k. I shouldn't be surprised, I made sure to take great care of it (outside of wheeling obviously)!

So with a $36,000 price point for the new HD optioned Landmark and a trade in value on my old LR4 of 27.5k - I walked away really happy. I have a lower monthly now than I did before.

Note: this new Landmark is in pristine condition, same as my first LR4 was: it seriously feels fresh off the production line. I know Land Rover has a complicated reputation, but one under-valued aspect is that used-LR's are ******* mint. Say what you will about the customer-base, they sure know how to take care of a vehicle.

Sincere thank-you to all who replied and offered advice.

Photo Jan 29, 4 40 31 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 29, 4 40 46 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 29, 4 48 19 PM.jpg

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great outcome for you. I bought my vehicle used a couple of years ago, and it was in mint condition as well, but it took me 6-9 months to find it. In between, I test drove a number of them that were definitely not mint. So, I’d say you got pretty lucky getting this sorted out so quickly. Enjoy your new low range and locking diffs!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a serious premium for the HD package unless your new one is better optioned. I'd be curious. If it was close, it would seem what the autotrader guy was saying about HD isn't far off. Your old one had 13000 few miles. That's $2k-$3k there. Plus the $8.5k difference in price is $10.5k to $11.5k for HD. Very curious to hear what the option diff between vehicle is.

Congrats on getting what you really want.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both are landmark models, so I assume similar options. But that $27.5k is trade-in price. The dealer probably thinks he can get a fair amount more on resale. So the retail price difference is probably more like $6-8K counting the mileage difference, right? I think that sounds about right - demand is much higher for the HD package.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Legit never getting rid of my LR4 (HSE HD). I hope that I never get in an accident and see it get totaled out.

I would have wished to have found a LUX when I was looking, but already had spent 9 months to find what I have!

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: After some thoughtful replies from this community, I decided to make a move and trade-up for an LR4 that has the HD package.

Funny enough, the Landmark Edition LR4 with 76,000 miles I found was at the same dealership I purchased my first LR4 from.

I was worried it would be a financial headache - and it is - but they almost gave me top dollar for my trade-in. KBB was saying 28k, the dealer gave me 27.5k. I shouldn't be surprised, I made sure to take great care of it (outside of wheeling obviously)!

So with a $36,000 price point for the new HD optioned Landmark and a trade in value on my old LR4 of 27.5k - I walked away really happy. I have a lower monthly now than I did before.

Note: this new Landmark is in pristine condition, same as my first LR4 was: it seriously feels fresh off the production line. I know Land Rover has a complicated reputation, but one under-valued aspect is that used-LR's are ******* mint. Say what you will about the customer-base, they sure know how to take care of a vehicle.

Sincere thank-you to all who replied and offered advice.

View attachment 12438

View attachment 12439

View attachment 12440

Yeah! Congrats! you made a good move.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the rear locker club. Just be warned, if that motor that operates the clutch packs gets stuck you are dumped on your ass on the bump stops without abs, stability control and more dashboard lamps than Christmas.

Good news they’re cheap and take 30 minutes to change :)

Ask me how I know....

Oddboy

Reaction score
that's a serious premium for the HD package unless your new one is better optioned. Your old one had 13000 few miles. That's $2k-$3k there. Plus the $8.5k difference in price is $10.5k to $11.5k for HD. Very curious to hear what the option diff between vehicle is.

I was wrong, I had 68,000+ miles on my old LR4 while the new one has 76,000+, so really it's an 8,000 mile difference give or take.

LR4 HSE 2016 [OLD] (68,000 miles) options:
  • Silver Edition Package
  • Black Lacquer Finish Interior Trim
  • Black Design Pakcage w/ 20 Inch Black Wheels
  • Climate Comfort Package
  • Protection Package
  • Wheel Lock Package
LR4 Landmark Edition 2016 [NEW] (76,000 miles) options:
  • Premium Leather - 033MB
  • Adaptive Cruise Control - 065AF
  • Tow Pack - 028CA
  • Heavy Duty Package - 074FY
  • Wood Leather Steering Wheel - 032DR
  • Special Paint - 005BU
  • Waitomo Grey - 1AR
  • LR4 Landmark Edition - 350MV

That's the best I can do in terms of package descriptions. This newest one had actual codes for the package, the HSE looks to have "dealer" descriptions?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HD and adaptive cruise together is tough to find. That’s really what took me forever to find mine. Its great on long trips, but I think you’ll have to lose the adaptive cruise if you want to mount a steel bumper. Even many winch mounts are not compatible with ACC, though I think there’s a way to do it - maybe the ACC bracket can be moved for a winch.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the rear locker club. Just be warned, if that motor that operates the clutch packs gets stuck you are dumped on your ass on the bump stops without abs, stability control and more dashboard lamps than Christmas.

Good news they’re cheap and take 30 minutes to change :)

Ask me how I know....

I have a 13 HD. Can you shed more light on this? Would love to prevent unpleasant surprises...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV