HD vs non-HD package LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Analogue

Reaction score
Well there appears to be one w only 25K miles. Description says HD package and the pic of the inst. cluster seems to confirm that. The Carfax report seems to confirm the sellers story about the ownership. Could be a lone wolf dealer try to turn a quick buck, but EVEN I think the price is nuts! It's been lurking around for a while.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=567070797&zip=90803&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=90803&city=Long+Beach&sortBy=relevance&incremental=all&state=CA&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=include&modelCodeList=LR4&relevanceConfig=default&makeCodeList=ROV&searchRadius=25&isNewSearch=false&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=LR4&makeCodeList=ROV&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=ROV&modelCode1=LR4&clickType=listing

I talked to this guy before buying my LR4 from actual dealer (w/ HD package) - he's private party and has a little inflated idea of value at the moment. He told me HD package adds $12-14k to the value of the vehicle which is crazy IMO. He's looking for an out of state buyer (he's in CA) since registration wasn't renewed (expired Dec 2020).

check the sales history as well, purchased from dealer for $44k but now listed for $56k????

Net net, buyer beware.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(expired Dec 2020)
So did the "factory Warranty". The $44k wasn't bad...could be more if for a 'Certified' one. Yes, a bit fishy. But then again here in S.CA no surprise if it's- "what I really want is one of those new Defenders, they look really cool". Meantime seeing what he can get while he waits.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel really dumb asking this....but ill throw myself out to the wolves anyway.

I am confident my MY11 LR4 does not have the HD package, but i know I have the "hi / low" switch to the bottom right of the terrain control knob.
This thread keeps referencing the 2 spd transfer case is only in the HD package.

If i dont have the HD package, what is the "hi / low" switch controlling?
or
did all early LR4 years come with the 2psd transfer case?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel really dumb asking this....but ill throw myself out to the wolves anyway.

I am confident my MY11 LR4 does not have the HD package, but i know I have the "hi / low" switch to the bottom right of the terrain control knob.
This thread keeps referencing the 2 spd transfer case is only in the HD package.

If i dont have the HD package, what is the "hi / low" switch controlling?
or

The rear locking diff is the key component that comes in the HD package. Your vehicle does have 2 spd transfer case w/Low range. Your setup is just like mine (2013) in that regard. To your final question: Yes, they did.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear locking diff is the key component that comes in the HD package. Your vehicle does have 2 spd transfer case w/Low range. Your setup is just like mine (2013) in that regard. To your final question: Yes, they did.

appreciate the explanation.

to further clarify:
MY10-13 2spd transfer case was standard equipment. HD package added full spare and locking diff.
MY14+ removed 2psd transfer case as standard equipment. The HD package then added the 2spd transfer case, locking diff and full size spare
?

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. 'Low Range' became an option in 2014 by including in the 'HD Package' along with rear locker and full size spare wheel/tire.
Then I think they went back to including 2spd trans case in the 2017 D5 (maybe HSE and above), with the locker and full spare as optional.
Go figure.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
appreciate the explanation.

to further clarify:
MY10-13 2spd transfer case was standard equipment. HD package added full spare and locking diff.
MY14+ removed 2psd transfer case as standard equipment. The HD package then added the 2spd transfer case, locking diff and full size spare
?

Correct!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to this guy before buying my LR4 from actual dealer (w/ HD package) - he's private party and has a little inflated idea of value at the moment. He told me HD package adds $12-14k to the value of the vehicle which is crazy IMO. He's looking for an out of state buyer (he's in CA) since registration wasn't renewed (expired Dec 2020).

check the sales history as well, purchased from dealer for $44k but now listed for $56k????

Net net, buyer beware.

this is my favorite part of the listing: "1 owner (registered) vehicle from $3 and $6 million homes, who was a mild-celebrity in 1999 and 2010." LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV