HD vs non-HD package LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the gap tool you can lock the diff through a test cycle. In my case it moved a little from fully open and got stuck. Because the diff actuator motor didn’t return to its reference point of fully open the truck threw a wobbler.

I’ll see if I can find a breakdown of the codes that were thrown.

I’m going to open up the actuator motor that I removed and see if it’s a simple fix to repair.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 13 HD. Can you shed more light on this? Would love to prevent unpleasant surprises...

For mine it was a sound like birds chirping coming from the rear diff for a few seconds after you turn off the vehicle. Turned out to be the sound of the locking rear diff solenoid failing. By catching it early the rear diff was not damaged.

Gold4URover

Reaction score
If you want to do any off-roading at all, I would ONLY get a LR with the Heavy Duty Pkg. Why LR would make a “world reknown Trail rig” without it was simply insane to me. But I imagine it revolved around the dollars. First, they cut costs by not fitting the vehicle with the proper equipment needed for off-roading, THEN they took out the room for the full-sizes spare, so all you get is a donut wheel. How the hell are you supposed to get out of the Trail with a donut wheel???! I think they made this move to appease the soccer moms, and those who never go off-road, but I have to wonder how many people who purchased these rigs knew this before buying?
I have a 2011 LR4 with the HD pkg, but now over 150,000, trying to find a 2016 with the HD pkg with lower miles. While I’m quite specific in the color I want (white exterior w/the beige interior), I have been looking for over a year now. Difficult to find this rig, but if anyone out there has a lead on one....pls post.
IMHO - this is one of the hugest mistakes made by LR.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no room for a full size spare? Wait when did that happen?

Oddboy

Reaction score

I've heard you can deflate a full-size and fit it underneath the vehicle, but that doesn't change the fact that the spare-tire is in a terrible location for a trail vehicle. If you ever get bogged down in heavy snow/mud/sand, good luck getting the spare tire out. This is why many people find rear tire swing mods.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A standard spec FS spare will fit under the LR4. Once you start getting into the more aggressive sizes then some deflation is required and it can still be tight. Certain aftermarket hitch setups (like my Rhino hitch) will also eat into the available space. That said, my FS spare fits fine at fully inflated pressure.

And I definitely lower it and put it in the cargo space any time I go offroad for the day.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard you can deflate a full-size and fit it underneath the vehicle, but that doesn't change the fact that the spare-tire is in a terrible location for a trail vehicle. If you ever get bogged down in heavy snow/mud/sand, good luck getting the spare tire out. This is why many people find rear tire swing mods.

Don't believe everything you hear, a fully inflated stock size tire fits fine.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I have never changed a tire sitting in a mud hole or stuck in a snowbank. I believe the proper protocol is to drive to high dry ground and change it like a gentleman. ;)

I know what the OP was getting at and if I did a ton of off roading with oversize tires a swing carrier makes a lot of sense. My off-roading is done mostly on two wheels.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Legit never getting rid of my LR4 (HSE HD). I hope that I never get in an accident and see it get totaled out.

I would have wished to have found a LUX when I was looking, but already had spent 9 months to find what I have!

Same here. I'm frankly starting to get worried about what I'd get for book value vs. what my ('13 LUX HD pkg) LR4 is actually worth given condition and mileage (45k). There is probably a pretty big gap there if it were totaled.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA