Headlight-Electrical Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1buddyc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first Post on the Forum. My Grandson has a '98 Land Rover Discovery and lately he's developed this problem. When he turns on his Running Lights, everything is fine. As soon as he turns on the Headlights, all the Running Lights go off.
Not being experienced with Rovers I'm assuming the problem is the multi-function Light Switch on the Steering Column. If I'm correct, would someone here have a good one they would want to sell or could you point me in the right direction?
Any links to old threads on this subject would be appreciated..
Thanks, Buddy in Texas.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can download (if you don't already have it) a free RAVE CD which is the complete shop manual.

If you're pretty mechanically inclined, the switch comes out easily and can be disassembled & cleaned/repaired.

pay lots of att to switch internals or take digital pics - some pieces are begging to be reinstalled backwards, I know.

I actually built up my contacts with 90/10 solder and it's worked well for over a year.

luck,greg

Last edited:

1buddyc

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Greg.. Any chance you can post a Link?

1buddyc

Reaction score
Joey, thanks so much for the info. I'm going to attempt the repair just as you showed in your instructions.:beer:

1buddyc

Reaction score
Just a follow up, it turned out the Headlight Switch was broken inside but I was able to find a used one today ($85.00) that works fine. Grandson is back on the road.
I did find a source here locally that has a couple older Land Rover parts cars if anyone needs anything. Give me a PM and I'll turn you on to them.
Thanks again for everyone's help, Buddy.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
$85 for a used one.... in the future I would look around more I only paid $30 for my last used one from www.roverguy.com

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4