Home Link mirror located buttons illuminated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the Home Link Garage door opener buttons which are located at the bottom of the interior rear view mirror supposed to be illuminated at night? On my 2005 HSE LR3, there is no illumination of the individual buttons at night. The power window buttons are illuminated, as are the radio knobs etc, but not the Garage Door buttons at the bottom of the rear view mirror. There is a green led light, but that is for the mirror auto dimming, (also the power on/off buttons are not illuminated either). My dealer says that there is no illumination and that dark at night is normal. I cannot find anything in the LR3 instruction books that says anything either way about illumination. As such, I wondered if the buttons were illuminated on other peoples 2005 LR3's.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a MY06 Range Rover Sport (the mirror s/b the same) and the Homelink buttons are not illuminated. Unfortunately that's not a malfunction, that's the way they are designed and, combined with the fact that they are flush with the frame of the mirror, those 3 buttons are a PITA to find by "feel" when it's dark. As a bonus, the black coating of my two often-used buttons is starting to peel off, revealing the ugly white plastic underneath. From interior pictures I saw recently, I think the mirror design may have been revised on last year's models, the 3 buttons are now raised and on the bottom of the mirror rather than the front, so they should be a bit easier to find and operate.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the peeling buttons, I had a similar problem and brought it up with my dealer. They replaced the mirror under warranty with the newer style one that you describe.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a nice dealer hell pie, I reckon some of them could categorize this issue as "regular wear and tear" and refuse to honor the warranty claim... Or perhaps they don't care, as long as someone - you or Land Rover - foots the bill. I'll never know since my buttons started peeling off as if on cue, just a split second after my factory warranty officially expired... :wink: FWIW, I like the new mirror design much better.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the buttons on the new mirror design light up at night? That would be a real plus - might even be worth paying for.

m5ccie

Reaction score
No they don't but there is no need to either as they stick out of the bottom and are easy to feel.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, my dealer replaced my "peeling paint" buttons with a new mirror as well. No problem and was a warranty replacement. No illumination.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM