Hood shakes while on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grecoroman

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing if I don't SLAM the hood after I'm in there. Doesn't happen every time, but it always seems closed up fine until I'm on the highway and see the vibration. A good hood slam takes care of it every time. Good luck!

Hey there- reviving an old thread.

I tried lubricating the driver-side hood latch, but It's still not catching, even after a SERIOUS slam down on the hood. Anyone else have any ideas to fix this? Shakes like crazy on the highway.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the lubrication there are also rubber stops on each side of the bay at the front that the hood rests on. I had this issue and I twisted to lower the stop so that it didn't prevent the hood from closing and latching all the way on the outer latch.

grecoroman

Reaction score
Besides the lubrication there are also rubber stops on each side of the bay at the front that the hood rests on. I had this issue and I twisted to lower the stop so that it didn't prevent the hood from closing and latching all the way on the outer latch.

Thanks for that idea -- i just tried that. it was a little bit loose, but the latch still isn't catching. tried wd-40, nada...

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wd40 is not a good lubricant- as others have mentioned, the dry graphite sprays work pretty well and don't make a total mess.

grecoroman

Reaction score
Wd40 is not a good lubricant- as others have mentioned, the dry graphite sprays work pretty well and don't make a total mess.

Gotcha. The latch itself moves down, so I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the lubricant would be. Seems unlikely that I would need to replace a latch, I'll try to pick up some dry graphite spray tomorrow to see if that works.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
largest single sheet of pressed aluminum

The bonnet on your 3 back in 2005 was the largest single sheet of pressed aluminum in automobile production. As such, it is priced that way.

Hence, if you have to spring for a new latch, it may be worth it.

There are two latches for a reason - both are needed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635